Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rhubarb Sour Cream Cake


I have two large patches of rhubarb. Mark has always given it away because I didn't use it. I decided I was a vision of domesticity this year, leaving me with a desire to use my own rhubarb. I have made two pies and some sauce so far, so now I wanted to try something new. I did a recipe search for rhubarb cake and decided to use this one. I started before I realized I only had 1/2 cup of sour cream, so I used 1/2 cup of banana yogurt to make 1 cup. It didn't seem to matter, as this is good. The recipe didn't say what to do with the 1/2 cup sugar and the nutmeg. As it was at the end I figured it was to be sprinkled over the top before baking. I believe I was right!


Rhubarb Sour Cream Cake

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons Butter 
1 1/2 Cups Firmly Packed Brown Sugar 
1 Egg 
1 Tablespoon Vanilla 
2 1/2 Cups Flour 
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda 
1 Teaspoon Salt 
1 Cup Sour Cream 
4 Cups Rhubarb cut into 1/2" pieces 
1/2 Cup Sugar 
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg

Procedure:

Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Sift flour with baking soda and salt. Add to mixture. Fold in sour cream and rhubarb. Spoon into greased 9" X 13" pan. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.

8 comments:

Homer and Queen said...

I'm going to try it! Looks good!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I am such a rhubarb fan and my husband absolutely hates the stuff! It must not be sweet enough for him but I like the tartness. I do have a super easy cake recipe for rhubarb and it only entails four ingredients that I can get him to eat sometimes. This one sounds really good. I keep repeating to myself...from my lips to my hips and who cares!

Girl Tornado said...

I'll have to sidestep this one as I've never been a big fan of rhubarb, but if you say it was good, I believe you. ;-)

Grace swallowed a pigeon? Oh my! Ringo is rather fond of rats and mice, and the occasional opossum if it tries to swipe his dog food. Woe to the opossum who tries that!

Memories Of Mine said...

I am defiantly trying me some rhubarb cake! Was the rhubarb you added raw?

My kids and I love rhubarb!

Sandra said...

Queen: Good and very easy!

Alicia: I don't think you need to worry too much about from lips to hips!

Oz: So far she is sticking to pigeon.

Liss: Yes it's raw.

Kacie said...

I made something similar to this rhubarb recipe a month or so ago! It turned out very nicely and tasted yummy!! I recommend it for anyone else to try!

Judy said...

ooohhh, that looks great! Put the kettle on and I will be right over!

Sandra said...

Coffee is on. : )