Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Such is Life

I got ahead of myself yesterday. I felt better, but my brain was clumsy. I couldn't really process thoughts nor communicate them when I did, so I gave up trying, as on blogger, and did mundane but necessary tasks, like washing the open shelving and the items on there. 




I got this shelf completed and half of another. I cannot safely reach the final two shelves and Mark wasn't home, so I'll get it and the final shelf done today. Open shelves and a used kitchen can be a problem. Frieda was doing quality control.

I had to turn the furnace on yesterday. It never got out of the forties. Mark went to the 65th birthday party of the third youngest brother yesterday. Of the ten siblings, eight were there. One came from South Dakota, the other from Kansas. They went to a restaurant and then to a brother's home for dessert. He had a good time and when they started talking about politics, he actually kept quiet. No easy task, but he is learning.

It's sunny and crisp, very Minnesota October, nice to see a moment of normal after the hellish summer. My son is camping and hiking somewhere in the North Woods with his Yorkie. What a sight they make, his little dog dressed up in his coat or sweater and this tall, large framed man. He took after his bio-dad's family, no tall in mine! They are constant companions. 

That's about it. Soup stock is simmering, the sun is shining and I am vertical.


12 comments:

Boud said...

I notice how large men seem to love tiny dogs. I see it all the time. But tiny dogs are often much better walkers than big ones. They trot briskly when bigger guys tend to lope.

Then there are tiny women with big dogs. I can see that. Out with a rottie or a gs, your feel pretty safe.

Anonymous said...

You accomplished a lot. I love and have to smile when you write about your son and his beloved dog, Homer (I think). A great loving pair of friends.

Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Boud, Matthew was walking along Shingle Creek when this scruffy little dog started to follow him. He was on the phone with me and didn't know what to do. I told him he needed to take him home and put up on social media and Lost Dogs Minnesota. His wife did that. No one claimed him. So my cat owning son acquired a Yorkie and never looked back! He buys the dog clothes. I have always had large dogs. Even bassets, mine were European Bassets. Howard weighed 110lbs.

Sandra said...

Kaye, yes, Homer. I'm impressed! He loves his Homie.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes open shelves in a used kitchen can be the pits. I must do mine soon...:( Glad you are vertical and we are in the 50's today...almost warm:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, me, too! They are the pits, but I still like them. My pantry is open, that I don't like so much. We will be 57 today.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you are feeling better, Sandra, as I've fallen behind in blog reading and so just caught up on several of your older posts. It would be nice to have open shelving, but this mill apt seems to be such a dust magnet that I am rather glad we do not. Neighbors removed their pantry doors which makes access easier in our apt then the recyclingl and a few other things would be in full view so our doors will remain in place (for now).

Ami said...

Everything in your house always looks so elegant. Even if you don't feel like it is, I think it is. :)

Val Ewing said...

I do love those jars! They are really quite neat.

Before we had our add on and remodel, I had one cabinet and a closet where everything kitchen related was kept. It was awful to keep clean. I had no silver ware drawer so kept it in a closet on a shelf!

Your house is beautiful.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, you have been busy traveling! Open shelves can look nice but they need frequent cleaning, so it's a trade-off. I would not take the pantry doors off. I have no way to close the pantry off.

Sandra said...

That's so nice of you to say, Ami. Mostly it looks tired (and dusty) to me. So, thank you.

Sandra said...

Val, I'm a jar gal! That would have been a real pain, I know you were relieved to have the addition put on.