Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, February 12, 2024

Randoms


I finally got the bread made, Boud.
A ciabatta loaf.


Yesterday I made stock, soup and bread. Today is laundry. Woo-hoo. It's a sunny, mild day, a bit of sunshine certainly helps. Mark watched the Super Bowl in the kitchen last night. I was in the living room, so I could hear it and him. He's not a big fan of professional football, but he gets into the big events. At least his reactions last night say he does. I could hear that Taylor Swift almost lost. I'm sure the chatter is all about how the game was rigged by the Deep State. *sigh and double sigh.*

My stallion, Zing, is informing us it's heading into breeding season. He's all up on his toes, doing the Strut-n-Stuff for the ladies in the adjacent pasture. He does truly believe he is Mister Wonderful. They ignore him. It's been so long since he has bred a mare I'm not sure he'd remember how. He's fun to watch when he comes in, all up and arched, snorting like he means it. To think I used to have three of them. I really was out of my mind.

Mark just informed me it's Paul Bunyan's 186th birthday. There will be celebrations in the towns that claim him. Am I a true Minnesotan if I admit never seeing the statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox? I didn't grow up calling a casserole a hot dish, either. Oh, my. Well, I did spend part of my childhood in San Diego. 


14 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Why don't I ever learn how to make good bread? I sure should like to see some photos of your stallion and current horses! We are returning to cooler weather and may get some snow....eventually. We are at least 35 inches below normal.

Boud said...

Stock, soup and bread, report from a medieval kitchen! With ale, smock and boots, you'll be ready for a reenactment.

Sandra said...

Bread is not difficult, Lori. You can do it. Maybe by spring/summer I'll be able to take photos.

Sandra said...

Boud 😆 you are funny! I think I could rustle all three of those up!

Anvilcloud said...

Hot dish. I like it. And the bread too.

Sandra said...

AC, it's a Minnesota-ism :) The bread is good, even if I say so myself!

e said...

The hot dishes have been plentiful here too. What is Mr. Wonderfuls' name?

Sandra said...

e, I'm making rice for one right now! His name is WF Last of Roses, aka, Zing. His dam was LF Diamond Rose, she died giving birth, hence the name. I used to call her Jail House Mama because she'd zing her teeth on the stall door when she wanted something. So his registered name and barn name came from Mama Rose. He prefers Mister Wonderful, although he's mostly known a Naughty Pants!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Happy Birthday Paul Bunyan.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sandra, you bread looks so good! Up in our area you can see Paul and babe, babe’s cradle and Paul’s girlfriend in several nearby towns. Touristy! Thank you for your kind comments on my blog I appreciate them and you, I am not quite ready to blog yet. My daughter has filled in for me nicely.

Sandra said...

Far Side, your daughter is wonderful! I think I love her, like a daughter. You need time. You've had a tough couple of years.

Someday I make see the Minnesota legends!

Sandra said...

Paul says thanks, Dora!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That's a great looking ciabatta, Sandra, and nothing goes better with soup then freshly baked bread at least in our home in recent weeks and yours as well from your posts. reading about Zing's antics made me smile.

Sandra said...

Dorothy, I made another ciabatta yesterday, 50% white whole wheat this time. I also made some stock so soup is on the way.

Zing is 23 going on 2!