Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Fermenting

The first batch of brined pickles. I used a container ghee had come in, it's two quarts, so I was able to get all the cucumbers into one jar. Now they ferment.



I used some of the tomatoes, zucchini and eggplant for a quick pasta dinner last evening.
 

The dew point was already at 71 degrees by 7:00am. It's going to be a miserable day. I don't like to wish away time, but this summer can leave. Please. 

Since the air conditioner is on perhaps I'll use the day to do some organizing. Nothing is where it belongs and with the humidity out of the air I may be able to accomplish something. Self-diagnosing, which is the only option I was given...... I wonder if I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? I become exhausted doing nothing. That said, my self-treatment has helped clear my mind (raw desiccated thyroid). I also take iron which has made a difference in my peeling nails and skin. One more supplement I've put myself on, Berberine. It's been touted as nature's Ozempic. It is not. I looked at the little bit of actual science and what it is known to do is help insulin resistance, which I was diagnosed with nine years ago. I've been borderline diabetic all these years. I spent four years following a diabetic diet and nothing changed. Went off the diabetic diet, nothing changed. I can feel a difference, insulin resistance causes inflammation and I am feeling less 'inflamed'. So, all pretty good, as things go.

I guess I felt a little chatty this morning. That happens when an oldish woman decides to talk about her ailments!


6 comments:

Boud said...

It sounds as if your self diagnosing and prescribing are getting you further than the doctors did. Good for you.

Sandra said...

Boud, I have to do something. It was as if I was supposed to roll over and die. I'd like an answer but in place of one, I'm doing what I can. I'm still barely mobile, but I do feel better otherwise.

Lori Skoog said...

Your pickles and dinner look delicious. Gary is the pickle maker in our house and I hope that happens soon. Don't even get me started on ailments and old ladies. Hopefully my body will get used to taking meds so I can stop worrying about everything. I agree with Boud, you have been very good at figuring out what works best for you. Turning on the air conditioner was a good idea.

Sandra said...

Lori, I've been fermenting for about a dozen years. No more standing over a hot stove canning for me! You've had a rough time the past couple of months, hopefully they have it figured out. The smoky air hasn't helped. I had no choice but to treat myself. I couldn't just give up. It was a good day for air conditioning yesterday!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I wish you could get a diagnosis. But if you are doing better that is a good thing. I understand oldish women and ailments:(

Sandra said...

Far Side, I'll try again, I just need to recover from the prior two years of dismissive behavior. You know how hard it is to get answers.