Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Pickles. Fritters. And a Cat


Mark is meeting with clients so I have the place to myself. Well...there's cats.  Here's the nearly daily dose of a cat in a box. He was helping me sort through my office clutter. Very helpful, indeed.


I have the vegetables for eggplant soup roasting.


Bill brought me some more pickling cucumbers. I set those to fermenting this morning. The one on the left is on its fifth day, I'll test one tomorrow for flavor.

More food talk: I haven't made zucchini fritters in years. Don't ask me why. I also shred carrot to mix with the zucchini, making it doubly good. I have a lot of zucchini so I'll be shredding some for fritters and some for freezing.This is a favorite time of year for me. I feel close to my grandma as I preserve. She was the 'Queen of Preserving Food'. No one went hungry during the Depression in her house. I also wear bib aprons, like she did.

I guess it's all about food today. We talk about what interests us, what we are doing at the time and at this time, as at most, it's food for me! I took my last bag of yellow plum tomatoes out of the freezer and plan to make a sauce. It's not the prettiest sauce but it is delicious. It's a bit cooler today so sauce on the stovetop is doable. I wish now that I had planted yellow plum tomatoes this year. Ah, well. 

OK, I guess that's it. My quiet life on the farm

10 comments:

Boud said...

I like the box name! Is this her secret name?

Sandra said...

Boud, yes.! The undercover name.

Anonymous said...

I wear my Aunt Nena's apron when I cook something, which is not often these days. I do make zucchini bread in Aug. and pumpkin in the fall.
Gatto is charmer.

Take Care,
Kaye

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cats in a box are good company:)

Lori Skoog said...

Gary ordered a couple pecks of pickling cucumbers and the crew will get together to make about 20 quarts on the 16th. They never make it through the winter as they taste so good. Dills. I love those yellow tomatoes too and we don't have any this year. Ummmm zucchini pancakes....are fritters deep fried? How do you serve them? I like applesauce or sour cream. Sounds like you had a little break from the heat.

Pixie said...

I remember helping my mum and my friend's mum, cutting up beans for canning and freezing, as well as peas. I've never liked pickles but mum pickled carrots, beets and onions.

Sandra said...

Kaye, how wonderful to have your Aunt's apron. Something else I haven't made in a long time, zucchini bread!

Sandra said...

Far Side, you know, they are!

Sandra said...

Lori, that's a lot of pickles! Zucchini fritters are made like a potato pancake and panfried. It's still been really humid but not as hot.

Sandra said...

Pixie, those are good memories to have. Fermented pickles are the kosher dills that used to be in the wooden barrels in the general store, something I only have seen in movies! They are my favorite and are good for the gut.