Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Random Thoughts, Sunday Quiet

So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness. 
Sydney Poitier

It's a quiet Sunday morning and for the first time in a while I don't feel anxious and rushed. What, you may ask, is the cause of my new-found ease? Snow. It snowed Friday night, enough snow to cover the ice in some of my turnout. Enough to be able to get all of my horses outside for the day. There is no way for me to put into words what this does for my state of well-being, not to mention theirs. So life returns to a state of normalcy.

Mark and I worked the entire day away in the barn yesterday. You wouldn't think that would be a pleasing thing, but it sure was. We got those stalls stripped and freshly bedded, all of them. Life is good! You take your blessing where you find them. I happen to find mine in the smell of fresh pine shavings.

Kristina is able to get back on a schedule with Zing. All three of us are happy about that. But the time off appears to have been productive for Zing. He had been sore and had acupuncture in the early part of January, but still was displaying soreness through the back. And he was crabby. A month of rest has done him a world of good, mentally as well as physically. He is moving beautifully, with so much suspension in his trot. He lives next to my talented Shaka and I think he gets lessons overnight from him. As long as Shaka doesn't start telling Zing how to behave, it is all good. I will be so happy to get outside in the spring. An indoor arena is a must in this climate, but I don't like being in a tin box. Kristina and I are looking forward to resuming lessons with Bill. It's a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. The winter has been too hard to even consider adding lessons into the day.

It's a cold morning, a couple of degrees below zero, but nothing can ruin my renewed spirit and cause me to complain. A little cold air is nothing to me. I have snow over the ice and horses outside! And a pile of sleeping dogs around my feet. I think this is a life worth having.

9 comments:

Ganeida said...

Your dogs look so happy & contented & I am happy you have snow & can get outside. Outside is nice. I walked through the mangroves, something I haven't done for a long time & should do more of. It restoreth my soul.

Sandra said...

That sounds like a lovely thing to do!

Christy Fritz said...

glad you were able to get out and get things settled. cabin fever is the one of the worst types of ailments IMO. we're happy spring is around the corner too!
chisty

Sandra said...

Spring is much closer to your corner than mine! Wait till I start to put up photos of mud. : )

Britwife said...

I'm here! I'm here!
I accidentally deleted a post on my blog and "Poof!" the whole thing disappeared. I just haven't had the ambition to start again. My sister and Perri (my college roommate) keep telling me to do it - so I will start again...someday. Sorry to throw you all for a loop.

Sometimes I wonder how smart it is for me to blog though. (I'll let you in on a secret - Mr. Britwife works for the DOC...that's my reason for anonymity).

Gracie is such an angel on this picture. I am tending to think you are telling tales that she is naughty. Look at how sweet she is!

Are you having wonderful weather, because it's supposed to get into the high 30's here today. I'll take it. Except that walking is a skating affair.

I miss chatting with all of you too. I have been running ragged. The Britwife family has been ill and it's taken a toll on my free time. Aargh.

Sandra said...

I'm so glad to hear from you! It was a real mystery. You had nothing to worry about on your blog, but if it makes you uncomfortable, then you shouldn't do it.

Gracie is one of the naughtiest dogs I have owned, and I've owned a lot of dogs! I am going to order a collar for her that sprays citronella at her nose when she barks. She is constantly going after horses at the gate and starting trouble with them. If there is trouble to be found, she finds it. : )

Sorry to hear about the sick family. I hope you are all on the mend and will be back to usual. Don't be a stranger, Ganeida and I were looking high and low for you.

Susan said...

So nice to see sweet Bill again. He was such a character but then again, aren't all your critters? Tell Grace one day I will continue the paw massage. :)

Sandra said...

I won't tell Gracie, I'll let it be a surprise! Yes, we miss our Bill.

Trinity said...

love the dogs!