Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Down That Lane

Remember when girls had "Hope Chests"? A cedar chest given to the girl, in my family, on her sixteenth birthday. She was to fill it with linens and needle work and such, for the day all proper girls longed for.....that walk down the aisle. I highly doubt this tradition carried on beyond my generation, and I doubt it was as strong then as it had been in the generations before. Good riddance for the meaning behind the chest, but they are a handy thing to have for storage.


This belonged to my mother. After she died I brought it home. I have sentimentality for items passed down through generations, even one that was hers. It was given by the grandmother I loved. The interior is so pretty. I use it for blanket storage and as a furniture piece in the living room.



I took a quick photo of mine, disturbing Frieda's morning rest. I had French provincial furniture, which I still have, but I painted it years ago. Except for the chest. I never did fill it with the proper items, but the stuff of a teenage girl who'd never even had a boyfriend. Marriage was not on my mind. It makes a good platform for a cat bed. It seems so much has changed, and yet, when you look, not all that much. The pressure to move backward is no joke.


When my mother died in 2020 I brought boxes and boxes of things home to go through. I did some, but most were deposited in my office and left to gather dust. I still have her beautiful china packed in a box. These past several days I have been tackling that task. Lots of photos, her family were pathological about photographing their lives. I came across this school photo of me. Can we say 1960s look! I don't remember this photo, so I don't know how old I was for sure, but maybe around that sixteenth year? Can you dig those cat eye glasses!


I believe I was born with that look on my face. I see it in many childhood photos. Sort of a go-ahead-try-it-look. I could have been the murderer in a Perry Mason episode. My god, that was a long time ago. I don't even remember this me.

The work in my office is moving along, when I'm not finding items that send me back into memory to mull over. We are having more snow after the undramatic rain yesterday. I continue to feel much better, so I am hopeful it's not temporary. It would be wonderful to engage in living again. I may be able to drive to my next medical appointment myself. I haven't driven a car for three years. I couldn't walk very far, meaning I needed to be dropped at the door. I lost independence, something I never would have anticipated happening to me. I am doing my limited version of a happy dance.

Take care, dance if you feel the urge.

22 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I like that 60s look on you, but I would, wouldn't I? Those were the days, my friend.

Sandra said...

...we thought they'd never end! It's odd I don't remember this at all. I had to look several times to make sure it's actually me.The cat eyes I recognize! They are popular again.

Boud said...

You did look ready for anything! Bring it!
I wonder if hope chests are American? I never encountered anything like that growing up.

Boud said...

Spoke too soon. I read of this idea in medieval times when skilful needlework got her a better class of husband.

Lori Skoog said...

First of all....I love the photo. Classic 60s. I graduated in 61 and my senior picture looked like I was still in Middle School. I have my Mom's Cedar chest and it looks exactly like yours and I keep a lot of the quilts she made in it. Man, you are on a real mission now that you are feeling better! And I do love to dance!!!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Driving for the first time in three years is wonderful news. Yes, I remember hope chests. My mom's was at the end of the bed, filled with blankets. Funny traditions. Some truly pretty built boxes, back in the day. Loved the picture. Great expression.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I had a hope chest and also recall bridal registry.

Val Ewing said...

Oh I look back on my old photos and half to laugh a bit. As a kid I had cat eye glasses and I had rhinestones on them! I had a pink pair and grew out of those to get a blue pair.

The pose for student photos remained the same forever with the slight tilt of the head. Now Senior Photos are expensive undertakings!

My mom spoke of a Hope Chest, she didn't have one, she ran away from home. But I doubt her family had one for the girls anyway. That is a beautiful one with a history!

The news of you feeling better brings me happiness for you!

Sandra said...

Boud, maybe that's why I hadn't had a boyfriend! Girls as a commodity, isn't that special.

Sandra said...

Lori, when I saw the photo I wondered who that is! Turns out....me. They are nice things to have, the interiors are beautiful. I like to dance as well. We should be neighbors.

Sandra said...

Ivy, I think I will need some practice drives on the gravel roads. That is a long time. They are pretty and practical.....the the idea behind them certainly was patriarchal.

Sandra said...

Some of the photos of me are downright scary. or is it laughable? Yeah the at an angle pose, all of the school pictures. I suppose the photos now are almost like a wedding photo shoot!

Sandra said...

Dora, yes. the wish list.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I had the same cat eye glasses. Must have been all the rage! I do have a Cedar Chest it was made especially for me by a friend from Oklahoma who died last fall. As for a hope chest...I had some china packed away in my closet and a few embroidered hand towels but no hope chest to put them in. My daughter Jen inherited her Grandmothers Cedar chest it looks alot like yours. Good to hear that you feel better!

Sandra said...

Cat eyes were the thing. Until they weren't! I went from those to wire rims.

My mother was all about doing what made her look good. So I got a hope chest. The other girls in my neighborhood did not. I'm glad I did because they are really useful. Now I have two! I bet the one made for you is beautiful.

e said...

I had a mini version of those chests, no idea what happened to it. I am glad you enjoy yours. Nice keepsake.

Sandra said...

e. they are great storage. The one on my bedroom is a wonderful perch for a cat bed!

Beatrice said...

I do remember the Lane hope chests and my late mother had one which I believe my SIL is using now. I have a very large one that I bought over 20 years ago and it traveled from NJ to VA and now NH. It's used for sweaters and other items in our bedroom. I also have a miniature hope chest that was bought at a thrift store in VA. I later heard that it was given to young women graduating high school in that town. Your photo was very 60s and WoW to those glasses.

Sandra said...

Dorothy, using it for sweaters is a great idea. Every area had their traditions. The glasses were definitely a thing!

Pixie said...

Nowadays that look is called, fuck around and find out:)

That cedar chest is gorgeous. I had a hope chest, kind off. I wanted to get married and have children. That's all I really wanted. Then I got pregnant, went to nursing school and then married an alcoholic. Such a wasted life it feels like sometimes.

Sandra said...

Pixie, I can go with that description!!!

I wasn't interested in marriage and yet at 20....married. The pressure was intense. At 23 I left and stayed single for almost 7 years. I didn't actually get divorced because it kept me from being married. I married a young man who was addicted to alcohol and drugs. Perfect. Your life hasn't been wasted, you rose like Phoenix from the ashes.

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Driving!