Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, March 30, 2024

Self-Satisfied

I normally post in the morning but my morning was otherwise occupied in the kitchen. I made a large pot of chicken and dumpling soup, which I had intended to do several days ago, and a loaf of bread. Job well done!


My mental/emotional health is much better, leading me to much more engagement in life than I've had in three years. Pain still plagues me, although it is significantly reduced. I can honestly say I almost feel okay. The dough for this bread spends 14-18 hours in the bowl before using. Then another two hours covered after a loaf is formed. Crispy outside, soft inside. 


It's interesting how life changes and suddenly I'm delighted I had it in me to make soup and bread in the same morning. Feeling rather full of my often sorry self! 

14 comments:

Boud said...

This all sounds very promising. Is that rosemary on the bread?

Sandra said...

Boud, fresh rosemary and thyme in the bread, rosemary on top of the bread. It is encouraging. Of course, I want to be all better yesterday!

Anvilcloud said...

Is that no-knead bread that you bake? A friend once got into it but I think he eventually stopped.

Sandra said...

AC, sometimes I bake no-knead but not exclusively. This one uses a folding method, which is a form of kneading. This bread is a 2 day process because it ferments in the mixing bowl up to 18 hours and then goes through a couple of hours proof after that. The air in the crumb is due to the long rising period in a coolish place. I like kneading bread but the often quick process of the no-kneads is welcome sometimes. More info than you wanted!

Lori Skoog said...

You are really impressing me!

Val Ewing said...

These are great leaps forward.

How awesome is that?

Sandra said...

Why, thank you, Lori.

Sandra said...

Val, funny how dealing with the pain changes everything.

It is so far kinda awesome!

Far Side of Fifty said...

So glad you feel so much better!

Sandra said...

Thank you Far Side. It's a relief.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad to read (and see) that you are not only feeling better but productive in the baking area we well, Sandra. Thanks for the recipes you sent via email. I have saved them and planning to make a loaf of rye bread later this week. We bought a small spiral ham for Easter and with just 2 of us there will be a lot of leftovers. There's also, pea soup in our future dining.

Sandra said...

Dorothy, you are welcome. I also plan to make rye bread this week!. I hope your day was pleasant and the meal wonderful.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sandra, I made rye bread yesterday and also pea soup. Unfortunately, the first rye bread did not turn out well so a second loaf was done in the dutch cast iron pot and that one came out edible. I suspect I need to replace the rye flour on the next grocery trip.

Sandra said...

Dorothy, grains like rye can lead to dense bread. Was that it or was it the flavor? At least you had success with loaf number 2.