Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, December 24, 2023

Cats and Other Things

I had a couple of days away from electronics, not with any thought to it, but because my brain was fogged up. I started to wonder about myself. I'm feeling cognitive at the moment. My brain was mimicking our weather....heavy fog.

So today is Christmas Eve but you wouldn't know it here. Not one thing Christmas. I just wasn't feeling it and with the plans cancelled I didn't need to think about it. The son did send me a text a couple of days ago telling me I was right, she's not ready. I'm sorry for her but glad I made the right decision.

So....more interesting topic; meet Blackie McCool. He is one of the four kitties born in the barn in 2015 to a stray kitten I didn't get spayed soon enough. There had been a handsome tuxedo fellow hanging out here for awhile and then, along came kittens. Mr. McCool took after pops. He's moved back in and stays inside much longer than Tabs Hunter, aka Crabby Tabby. He's a big, sweet boy. It's good to have him back in the house.




This finally happened on Thursday. The auger quit working at the end of last winter. Bill said he would look at it and finally did on Thursday. After much deliberation he accidentally pulled the auger out and then he put it back in. We think it had somehow slipped out of the arm that turns from the motor. It's working like a charm now. It makes a difference in that very hard to heat room.


I ordered a pair of glasses Friday and I should have them in seven to ten days. Maybe. Otherwise, nothing much happening. Our weather is not right. It will be in the upper 50s F today and tomorrow with rain. Really strange. 

16 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

You have a lot going on....kitty, glasses, getting your stove going.warm weather, Christmas less. We are going to have a very quiet Christmas Eve....still in solitary confinement! Make as much Merry as you can!

Sandra said...

Lori, I feel bad for you two. I know how much gathering with family and friends means to you both. Life isn't always fair. I'm not really doing anything special and that's ok.

Boud said...

That's the kind of "repair" that annoys me if I didn't think of trying to adjust it! Anyway, glad it's working, though your weather is practically shorts weather for Minnesotans.

Anonymous said...

My childhood cat Patrick Louise looked very much like your Mr. McCool, I just teared up thinking about Patrick.
Christmas this year is quiet and I am relieved. I was thinking yesterday how happy I was that I did not have any entertaining to do. I can just relax with my sweet old dog Bird. There was snow yesterday (5") and it is cold, 12 degrees this morning.
I hope you and yours have a peaceful Christmas.
Thank you, for enriching my life.
Kaye

Sandra said...

Boud, I'm sure there are plenty of people in shorts! It's sort of a thing. :) I don't think either of us expected it to suddenly pop out! We were both startled. And pleased!

Sandra said...

Blackie McCool touched your heart, Kaye. He would be proud. He is an affectionate cat and I'm happy to have him visiting the house again. You all enrich my life and I am grateful for it. Enjoy the quiet time with Bird.

Val Ewing said...

We will be quiet here too. No one comes here during Christmas. We are always asked to travel and hubby just can't do it.

No matter. It will be a nice quiet day. I'll rent some movies and we will have popcorn.

Looks like you have it all taken care of there too! Peaceful Christmas. It is good enough for me.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Rain and now sleet here. Happy Christmas!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sandra, we are also spending a quiet Christmas in Nashua, NH, spending most of the time watching holiday films from our own DVD collection. For the first time in several years we are traveling to visit family who have their own holiday lans and that is OK with us. We did put up the village and see holiday decorations inside, so we are keeping the holiday on a smaller scale. Hope your quiet holiday will be as nice. Also, it will be warmer here in Nashua, NH, with no white Christmas.

Bohemian said...

Blackie McCool is a Handsome Cat. We're having a quiet Christmas too and were told The Daughter is trying to get here from Mexico to make it for Christmas... we shall see if she pulls it off? I hope so...

e said...

I wish you a sweet dau and a happy year ahead.

Sandra said...

Val, have a nice day watching movies and eating popcorn. I may do the same.

Sandra said...

It rained all day yesterday and supposed to again today, Far Side. Merry Merry!

Sandra said...

Beatrice, you two are always on the road, it probably feels good to stay home. Have a lovely day.

Sandra said...

Dawn, Blackie thanks you! I hope your family is all together today and you have a joyous Christmas.

Sandra said...

e, thank ups. I hope the same for you and the wee one.