Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, August 8, 2008

Good Lesson Today

WF Last Of Roses, hereon known as Zing, had a workout today. His trainer, Kristina, has been with him for one year this month and as I watched him today I thought back to the messed-up and angry horse he was a year ago. I had made some mistakes in my choice of trainers for him and it had created a mess. There was an angel watching over Zing when Kristina found us because a better choice for him would not have been possible and the fact that I really like her is a bonus.

The silver lining I have found in the poor economy is that I have not felt any pressure to get the stallion into the show ring, allowing he and Kristina to work slowly and often measuring progress in inches. But he is relaxed and happy, there isn't any force or frustration. What a concept!

Anyway, I was recalling the past year and how far we have come. Also, how many saddles I have bought! Zing out-grew the saddle he wore, so I bought a wide tree Stueben on ebay. Stueben's idea of a wide tree wasn't Zing's, so it didn't fit. I bought a treeless dressage saddle and Zing loves it, but Kristina, not so much. She has used it about 4 months and has had a game face, but didn't like it. So, back to ebay. I have now purchased a Kieffer Lech Profi with an adjustable tree. The saddle needs to be sent in to be adjusted, but it can be. The seller said it is at medium, so I assumed I would need to have it adjusted, but Kieffer's idea of medium is rather wide. So right now horse and rider are happy!

6 comments:

dressage rider said...

Hi Sandra, I have a grey gelding GDE Cassidy, that is a half-brother to WF Impressive. I had contacted you in the past. I cannot express how much I enjoy this horse. He is superbly bred for dressage: temperament, conformation, and smart. I use an adjustable tree Bates saddle with the air panels stuffed. I also use a Lazer dressage bridle as it curves around the ear. Have a nice day.

Sandra said...

I remember you and your horse! The Arabian can be a real problem to fit so I'm happy there are solutions. Zing LOVED the treeless saddle, he was instantly a different horse, but it was not a favorite for his trainer. He has been ridden twice with the Kiefer and so far he is doing great. I'd like more info about the bridle

dressage rider said...

Hi Sandra,

Cassidy was quite a chewer on the bit and seemed a little unsettled too until I put the Laser (Lazer?) on him. I had first used a rubber bit - no help. Then I put him in a French link snaffle which has been great for a lot of my Arabians and it was a real help but not the complete success I had had in the past. Also since I was dealing with some health issues which are now mostly resolved I went to a trainer for a month. She said he was "perfect" - high praise from this trainer of long experience. She is a very good and kind trainer and had him working very well but I felt he was being courteous but not really happy still. Finally I broke down and bought the Lazer. He was so happy when I put it on him. I think the curve around the ear was very significant. I wouldn't even want to ride any horse without one now as it makes so much sense. I had seen it on a list of trainer must- haves in a dressage magazine. Now he is very happy and just does a gentle chew once in awhile. I purchased it from Dressage Extensions. It has been listed for $350 - just about the most important $350. I have spent for my riding.
Have fun riding!

Sandra said...

I will look into the bridle. Zing's biggest problem had been saddle fit, but he seems happy now. We have had success from our lessons, although we bring Ari and not Zing. Training is training though and what is learned for one applies to another. I got to see the most spectacular animal I have ever had the honor to personally see on Monday. I think how he was trained played a large role in his beauty of movement. It was simply wonderful to watch and I can't stop thinking about it, especially while we see the horses in China. Kristina said, and she is right, no matter how may videos you watch it can't compare to seeing it in person. You don't hear the movement like you do when you are there, nor do you fully see the loft of the gaits. Spectacular.

Your gelding's sire was a very beautiful horse and he had the most incredible shoulder. My stallion got that shoulder, as have all of his get. I am going to assume Cassidy did also. I bet he moves over the ground like a cloud. Did I tell you what 'GDE' stands for, I don't remember?

dressage rider said...

Not being an experienced blogger, I am not sure if my response to this went through. Yes, you did tell me and I had to laugh as I was a little shocked. (I am a preacher's kid.) Cassidy does float. He is sooo beautiful. I need to take some good pictures or have someone else do it for me. By the way, I was born in Minneapolis and raised in various places in Minnesota, mostly Willmar.

Sandra said...

I just say this. Do you know Kathy, his breeder? She is a person of great humor! And the GDE is very true. I'd love to see photos. I'll pit them up if you want, next to his brother, who has, btw, shocked me with his happy behavior with the geldings.

I didn't know you were from MN.