Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, August 21, 2008

This and That

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it" George Bernard Shaw

"I believe in only one thing: liberty; but I do not believe in it enough to want to force it upon anyone."  H. L. Mencken

"It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people." John Adams

I love interesting quotes and I found these to be that. All on the same topic but by diverse personalities. Jefferson, Shaw and Mencken are some of my favorites. Mencken had a very sharp wit, as well as a well-honed tongue!

No comments: