Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Crazy Hot Arabians













OK, I read somethings on an internet forum a couple of days ago that has been irritating me. It's not as if I haven't heard it more times than I can count, but I know one of the participants and I felt disappointed. On this same forum I have read in the past two months about numerous people being bucked off from their QH's and no one says, rank bad-tempered QH's, but Arabian bashing is almost a national sport. Coming from people who have Arabians or crosses makes this worse because it gives more credibility to the mindset. I'm not naive and I know that there are Arabians that are not suited to average riders, but so many of these horses are quiet and sensible. I own Arabians that cover the whole spectrum.

We have been doing more with my horses this year then I have done for several years. We took two cross-breds to a park in June. One, a mare, had not been off the farm since she was a yearling and the other has only done arena work. So, obviously they had never been on a trail ride. The mare is 10 and the gelding is 11. Both went along as if they did it every week. I have a 7 year-old PB mare who had not left the farm ever until June of this year. Her off-farm experience was to go to a reined cowhorse clinic that used buffalo instead of cattle! She had never been in a ring with other horses and she surely never saw a buffalo, much less chase it. The mare was very good, although worried. This mare spent a fun day at a farm in WI a couple of weeks ago in an open field with jumps and horses jumping them. She didn't like the jumps, but she sure wasn't out of control, just cautious. I stopped riding in 1999 and only have begun again on a limited basis this year and I rode one of my horses in that same open field without a problem. I rode another horse at the cowhorse clinic and although I didn't work with the buffalo, I was in the ring with the others attending the clinic. What more can be expected from a horse? Alright, that's my daily rant for now.

12 comments:

afleetalex18 said...

Hey, I was wondering. I saw one of your horses on your website,TsofisticatedLady, and noticed her sire was Tsamari a bay 1993 stallion. I ride a gelding named Tsamari with that name, is bay, 15 years old and has a star like her. He is new to my riding stable and I was wondering if it's the same horse? I live in MN and the stable I ride at is called Davenport Stables in Dayton MN.http://www.davenportstables.com/boarding.html LMK! Thanks!

Sandra said...

I believe it is the same horse. He was a youngster when he bred Forever Elegant. I bought the mare in foal from the stallion owner. I wondered what happened to him and heard from someone in the past year that she owned him. He needed someone to give him a chance and I'm glad he got it. I'm also glad he was cut, although Sophie is a very good mare. He wasn't happy as a colt. I hope you like him, I sure like his daughter!

afleetalex18 said...

I like riding a lot. I'm one of the only students that can ride him. He's a bit harder to control and not for beginners. It's so cool to see one of his daughters though. She looks exactly like him.

Sandra said...

He is a very well-bred horse and if he is anything like his daughter he is quick! He proves that if given a chance, most horses can be useful. Good for you that you enjoy riding a horse that isn't push button!

afleetalex18 said...

No, push button horses are no fun to ride. There is no challenge. My and his owner/my trainer are trying to get him to start jumping. He's not taking to it though. He's afraid of the jumps and shies at them. I hope we'll be able to get him over that.

Sandra said...

The mare I posted about, Isabella, was afraid of the jumps too. We were only there for a day, but the mare handled buffalo better than the horse eating pieces of wood! We learned something at the last lesson with the reined cowhorse trainer that made me hit my head and say 'duh'. He said to work a horse around what scared it, just keep her going until she is tired and then let her rest in the spot that she is not comfortable with. Make her want to be there by making it the good place. Isabella can see and smell the buffalo when we are there, so she won't go over to the side of the arena near their pen. Kyle had Kristina work her and then stop her to rest on that side of the arena. It worked. She widened her circle and finally relaxed. Maybe this will work with the jumps. Don't try to make him jump but let him rest next to them after he has worked hard. It may take some time, but it may work. Kyle said with really tough horses he not only lets them rest in the 'bad' spot but takes their tack and boots of and brushes them down there. He said they begin to look for it. I believe him.

afleetalex18 said...

He's been doing a bit better over jumps now. Saturday I'm taking him to a show. Can't wait!

Sandra said...

Keep me posted!

afleetalex18 said...

Okay I will!

afleetalex18 said...

Well I had the show today but Sam was sick. I had to ride another horse instead. He did have fun cantering around the pasture with the other horses while I competed.

Sandra said...

Well that's just not fair! There's always next time. Get photos when he tries again, I'd love to see him.

afleetalex18 said...

Okay, I'll try to get some pics for you next time. : )