Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, March 26, 2022

Eat the Bread, Drink the Wine

I read that most people don't cook much and I saw on a local morning news program that few sit down to table for meals. I know I'm old, but I wasn't always. Yes, I've had my food sitting on the sofa in front of the tv, but generally we sat at the table. Even when it was just the boy and I. We still do. It is a time to come together, even if it's just for half an hour. I wonder, if life is too busy for that, perhaps a rethink is in order? I often think about setting the dining table with china and crystal at least once a week. We never use it anymore. My son has gone off on his own way, so holidays have been Mark and I the past couple of years. I think about the dining room  table but never seem to get beyond the thinking. The kitchen table is so convenient.

I had a sausage to use and an acorn squash. With pappardelle it made a good dinner for two. I love making bread, it is an uplifting experience for me. This was yesterday's loaf. Fifty-fifty King Arthur bread flour and white whole wheat.


It's another cold and windy day. Winter is hanging on, which is normal. March is a teaser, we get a day or two in the 60s and then we go back to winter. I have plenty of wood for the fireplace, we live where a softwood forest wants to grow, so I get to enjoy my fires, eat my food and drink my wine. Not bad. 

 

2 comments:

Bohemian said...

Your Food pixs look Sublime! I'm no Domestic Goddess so I confess that after The Man got TBI, and he was the one Gifted as a Culinary Jedi, we don't cook much anymore and prefer to eat out. Now that the Grandson and his Partner moved back with us they like to Cook and I do like being cooked FOR! *winks* I like them to watch the Food Network and then think they're both Iron Chefs. The Sixteen Year Old Grandchild likes to cook but she only knows how to make a few things yet... and most Teens only eat a half dozen things all the time anyway, they're not all that experimental with Cuisine yet.

Sandra said...

True. It takes a while to develop a palette. I like to cook, but I have been house bond so I haven't much else to talk about. So I do food. It's good to have someone to cook for you.