Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Musing

 I had a brain injury eleven years ago last month. I've learned not to talk about it, they really are not at all understood. Unless one shows some physical sign of damage, people tend to dismiss the brain injured who can walk and talk. Even doctors don't seem to get it. 

I have realized in the last few years I've always been depressed, but it was so normal, the way I felt, I didn't know it was depression. My brain injury ramped it up, in the couple of years afterward I wasn't functioning well at all. I finally understood I needed help and went on Prozac. The deeply depressed should not be in charge of their depression treatment, but no one can tell them (me) that. The drug stopped working about four years later. I tried a couple of others, I couldn't tolerate the side effects, so I fumbled along for another couple of years. Through a book a friend recommended, written by a local psychiatrist, I found an over-the-counter medication which is a prescription in Europe. It has helped me, I am still often low, but not always. And my lows don't take me to the darkness.

What is a common theme with TBI, from what I experience and read on a brain injury group, is depression and a loss of who you were. There's the loss of balance and memory along with various other symptoms, but the one that seems to cause such a feeling of loss is the loss of self. For those who haven't lived it it's impossible, or so it seems, to understand living in your body, seeing yourself in the mirror, interacting with people...and not feeling like yourself. I'm not me, not the me I was. I work at accepting this, I understand grieving the loss of something which will never return becomes a fools errand. And yet, I and all the many others I know, do it anyway. I don't know how not to. Yes, I know it's not time well spent, but there it is. 

The pandemic has not helped, as it hasn't for so many. Isolation is the last thing someone like me needs, it's too easy to slip into the cocoon of solitude. I have never had many friends and that is more the case now than ever. Two I knew for decades I let go over the past two years. One, a much younger woman, without meaning to was sucking the life out of me and I broke. The other, also younger, went through some life changing events in her life which either changed her or made her more confident in showing something I didn't understand was there. I had to move away from that, as well. Living rural is an easy path to isolation.

Coming back to this abandoned blog strangely gives me some comfort. I have good memories here. It also allows me to say whatever I want, no like button or emojis. Putting my food photos, my animals, my history, it feels better here than on Instagram. For a few minutes I forget about the noise in my head and make something someone may look at and smile. That's pretty good.

4 comments:

37paddington said...

Sandra, I am so glad to have found you again. It is so intense what you share here and I feel privileged to read it, to know I cannot fully understand but at least I can know this is something you deal with every day. This blog world is strangely comforting, I agree. The only people still here are here for the community, and I feel I’ve made some real true friends here that I may never meet in the flesh, but whom I have come to love. It’s a generous place now that the blogging heyday is past, plus it’s where I can process freely in the pursuit of sanity because I often don’t know what I’m feeling till I write it down. The pandemic has been hard on friendships. But here we are.

Sandra said...

I'm happy to be back! And, yes, here we are. Thank you for your thoughtful words.

Bohemian said...

The Man's TBI was about a little over a Decade ago too and as his full time Caregiver I completely understand all of what you've Shared and been transparent about in this Post. He had to learn to do everything all over again, basics like breathing, eating, toiletry, walking, talking, reading, writing... now he's at that Space you speak of that most people dismiss that he has challenges that are still considerable, tho' his recovery is beyond Miraculous. They had told me he wouldn't live, then said he'd be vegetative, The Grandkids and I basically had to do all the Work after the Medical Field gave up on him and Insurance wouldn't cover Long Term Care anymore. We were tenacious and the Youngest Grandchild we're raising was about Six at the time and referred to him Pre-TBI as "Old Grandpa" and Post-TBI as "New Grandpa", out of the Mouths of Babes, since he was a completely different Person we had to adjust to and learn to love and to Let Go of who was no more after the catastrophic injuries. Blogging really was my Salvation from Extreme Caregiving and Extreme Parenting of Special Needs Grandkids. The Grandson, whose 21 now has Schizophrenia... The Granddaughter, whose 16 now, has some Physical and Emotional Challenges, so our Home can be quite the Human Sideshow at times. *LOL* The Grandson, whose a Genius with a 148 IQ but Schools couldn't Teach on account of his Serious Mental Illness, set up my Blog when he was 9 and taught me what a Blog even was. I had Friends who'd paid Professionals loads of Money to create their Social Media pages and liked what our Grandchild had done with mine and for Free. *LOL* I'm glad you're back and that I've discovered you... Blog On!

Sandra said...

Oh, my. You have had your hands full. I was not that bad. I don't remember much of 2011. I couldn't blog for a while because I typed gibberish and didn't know it. I recovered from that, but I have lost my drive and creativity. Depression has stolen a lot of my life, but I didn't have the challenges your husband has had.