Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, March 14, 2022

Beginning

LF Diamond Rose

 She started what became a decades long obsession for me. Breeding and raising horses. Before she entered my life I was happy owning a riding gelding, that I boarded, living my city life. Before I knew it, I was in a rural area, on a farm, sort of wondering what I had done. She changed me, probably for the better, although I would have a whole lot more money if I hadn't taken that fork in the road. She died in 2001, while delivering her fifth foal, WF Last of Roses. It took me a year to recover from her death. I have three of her five, they are old now, 27, 25, 21. It's hard to believe Mama Rose died 21 years ago, but then I look at Zing in his paddock and know it's true. My hand raised baby, so even tempered and silly, very much her son. Life throws curves at us. Sometimes those curves show us who we are. My horses showed me I was more than I had thought. 
 

2 comments:

julochka said...

I've always loved the honesty of horses. You can't hide who you are from them, they see right through you.

Sandra said...

I couldn't have put it better.