Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Lovely, Lovely Day...It's a Lovely Day

I left the house today feeling like this. After lunch I decided to go to the nursery for some herbs. 



I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but let me explain. I haven't driven a car since March, 2021. The year before I was making a two hour thirty minute round trip six days a week, going to work on my deceased mother's house. By January of 2021 I was nearly unable to walk. Practically speaking, I couldn't walk more than a few feet at a time.  My last time driving was to the chiropractor. Then I needed Mark to drive me because I needed curbside and all those trips were medical in nature. The mind and body do work in concert and mine decided to write an opera.

I am slowly, emphasis slowly, getting better. I cannot accept this will be my life. So.....I get to the nursery, am surprised that it is nearly cleaned out. Second week in June in Minnesota. I was able to buy two sweet basil and two large leaf basil. I also bought a squash, why not? And a French lavender, it will become a house plant over winter, lavender doesn't survive winter in Minnesota.

Ok, success, I managed fine, although I have not mastered the art of managing a cane when trying to hold other things. But, it was alright. I get home, attempt tp get out of the car with the damn cane, it slips and hits something on the dashboard that sets off a shrieking siren type sound. I don't know how to stop it. This was my mother's car and although I drove it everyday to her house for eight months I'd not bothered to actually know anything about it. I pull the pouch with the manual in it from the glove compartment and everything spills onto the floor. Mind you, it's still shrieking. I find security in the manual but it doesn't tell me how to turn it off. I start pushing buttons, I hit one on the fob which starts the horn blaring. Pushed it again and it stopped. One down. I finally pushed the right button, no more shrieking. Pull myself out of the car, struggle a bit with a cane, a purse and keys, start walking to the house and the horn starts blaring again. I'd held the fob in my hand and of course managed to press the horn noise maker. Inside, I walk to Mark's office, he and The Great Guard Dog are in there, I asked if he heard the blaring and shrieking. No. I could have been fending off bad guys out there and the man and the German Shepard just lounged in the office listening to baseball. Not even my cat was looking out the screen door.

By the time I got into the house, I was like this. Bedraggled and feeling like a wet Basset.

8 comments:

Boud said...

Well done, you. That took a lot of guts to do that. And I hope you continue to get better. This was a milestone day

Sandra said...

Boud, it was a day alright! Thanks, it's no fun being me, but me is all I've got.

Lori Skoog said...

The good news! You drove. Yep, you are getting better every day.

Sandra said...

Lori, I did. And then I was a hot mess! And..it was funny.

Val Ewing said...

One step at a time.
Hi!
I made over to read your blog!

Lots to catch up on I see!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You need a backpack...those panic buttons going off is funny...but not when it happens to you!

Sandra said...

Hi, Val! Lots of nothing over here. :)

Sandra said...

Far Side, I could just see the disaster a backpack and I could make together! I saw the humor after it was over, definitely not while it was happening.