Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, June 24, 2022


We are in gut-wrenching times. 

Yesterday I was in a place of despair. The not-so-supreme-court overturned a one hundred year old law regarding conceal and carry. The 1/6 Committee hearing was particularly unnerving. What didn't succeed the first time will succeed the next time, there is now a blueprint for action. It's quite likely there will be a next time, unless the public as a whole votes. This morning Roe v Wade bit the dust. We knew it was coming, but it's still a gut-punch. Nancy Pelosi vows to enshrine Roe into law, but once again, that depends on the majority in this country, who don't agree with authoritarian rule, voting. The US has an abysmal voter turnout. I've know a lot of people who have proudly stated they don't do politics. My response has been, you may not do politics but politics will most certainly do you. And here we are. On our way to a plutocratic theocracy, unless we stop it. We will only do that if we sit up and take notice, understand a Constitution is a piece of paper which cannot defend itself. The people it is protecting need to protect it. 



So, my obligatory food photo, curtesy of a bad day. I had nothing to cook and no desire to cook it if I had, so an easy pasta. We would go hungry a few nights a week if I didn't have a well-stocked pasta cupboard. I know people who don't have any on hand at all. How DO they survive?

8 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I was so thunderstruck by hearing the Roe v Wade decision on the radio while on my way to the gym that I had to pull over. Yesterday's new regarding the gun laws didn't even make sense either.
I was horrified by what the DOJ witnesses revealed during the committee hearings.

Just.
Wow.
:(

Sandra said...

We are in dangerous times, Val. We need to vote. Like our lives depend on it.

Boud said...

I've already signed the MoveOn pledge to do everything I can to boot Republicans out. I live in a state with reproductive rights now in the constitution, also good gun laws, but it's for people who don't that I'm concerned.

Sandra said...

Boud, as long as we have a Democratic governor we have abortion rights. They are going after everything they can. And they can do it.

Lori Skoog said...

Dinner looks so good, unlike the way our country looks today. The Supreme Court is taking a deep dive....all part of the long term plan. If people don't get off their butts and vote, we will be in very deep tapioca. Anyone who is tuned in, should realize all the damage that has been done and the impact it is going to have on EVERYONE.

Sandra said...

Lori, absolutely. Deep tapioca for sure. It seems obvious, I hope it is. We have one chance stop this.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like you had a meal! I have not been listening to the news, so I am a tad behind:)

Sandra said...

Farside, you were in spam again. I'm sure you know by now what I was talking about.