Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Eggs Hay Pizza

When you've got nothing else, you've always got food. You being me.


 
I made an egg bake for dinner. I had planned it for the evening before, but my hay guy brought 3 loads of hay, which took Mark's time and therefore delayed dinner. We had frozen pizza, which I keep on hand for just such occasions. 

We are under a heat advisory today. The humidity in Minnesota is feeling like what I experienced living in Georgia. An unpleasant reminder of climate change here. It will be a lay-low day for me. I'm going to see if we can live with just the fans blowing today. I'm feeling nervous about the ancient central air unit. 1985, folks! I've had two appliances give out on me this year, so I'm feeling a little superstitious. We used the a/c once or twice a year for a couple of decades, then we started getting a little warmer and a lot more humid. Air conditioning has become about as necessary as heating. I lived in a turn-of-the-last-century house, in a city, for thirteen years and didn't have a/c and never felt we needed it. Over the last dozen years unfamiliar bugs and weeds have made an appearance, telling me we are a different place than I always knew. 

That's all there is, there is no more.......










9 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Your heat is headed our way....tomorrow we will be in the 80s with humidity. I love your egg bake for dinner....my kind of food. Have not even thought about hay yet, but they are starting to bale it around here. I usually get second cutting grass so it's nice and soft. Have so much left from last year I won't need much. Did Mark have to stack all that hay by himself? For the past couple of years we have been helped by Jenny and our grandsons. With this pacemaker, I won't be helping this year.

Boud said...

I live in NJ, humidity personified, but years ago we lived in a brick house, solidly built, tree shaded, and never needed air conditioning. Now either the climate has changed or I've got soft. I need it in house and car. I think once you get used to it you can't go back. After I worked in an office with AC and stores used it, it got much harder to do without at home. I hope your system holds up!

Sandra said...

Lori, no he didn't unload, they put the racks in the indoor arena and will unload it later. Mark always helps unload. With as iffy hay has been I take whatever I can get. It's either too wet or too dry or so humid it doesn't dry. Take care of yourself, let the young ones do the hard stuff.

Sandra said...

Boud, I know it's climate change. We always had hot days, in July and August, June was typically spring. We've had dew points at 80 degrees, that's tropical. I also haven't seen -30 in a long time! It's amazing to have such an old a/c unit.

Val Ewing said...

It is supposed to get up to 92 today. Huh. Already there. I'm so happy for early mornings. I cut weeds moved critters to shady pastures, and cleaned and filled stock tanks. All before 6am.

I imagine hay will be pricey this year. Generally I order ours from the hay guy in July and he brings it to me after his custom work slows down.

Stay cool!

Sandra said...

You are a way better person than I, Val! That's a lot before 6am. The saving grace is we have a stiff breeze. Hay is expensive, my guy gives me a break because I have been a consistent customer for 25 years, much of that time feeding a whole lot of horses. He's become a friend.

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Far Side of Fifty said...

When we had the greenhouse I demanded ac, could not sweat all day and all night too. Hope yours keeps on plugging away:)

Sandra said...

Far Side, night is the worst. We know it's only a matter of time, but can it be a little more time, please!