Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, June 20, 2022

The Long View Back

The Four Mares of the Apocalypse 
All in foal circa 1996


Sunspot with her colt, WF Airs Above Ground, half Lippizaner. Nellie Jelly Belly, my goof ball greyhound had to join in, just because she could. She was a born criminal! Sunspot's breeder named her after a Bob Seger song, Sunspot Baby.


When you've had a lot of horses and dogs over decades you have a lot of wonderful memories and a lot of sad memories, too. All of these animals are deceased now. The pinto mare was the last to go, she died December 2021 at 29 years old. The colt, Ari, died prematurely from colic in 2014. I consider 17 years old premature.


Ari with his trainer, Kristina, in 2008. He was a great and talented horse. Sometimes I need to go through the old photos, it can be easy to forget all the work, the joy and, of course, the grief. All worth it.

11 comments:

Boud said...

I love this. I know nothing about horses other than how beautiful they are, so everything you say is new to me and fascinating.

Sandra said...

Boud, when you spend most of your life engaged with something it is easy to forget there are others who know nothing about it. The world becomes narrow, as mine did, I really only knew horse people for a very long time! There's something in seeing them into life, living with them throughout their life and seeing them to their death. They are rather fascinating creatures.

Lori Skoog said...

Thank you so much for posting these photos. You have had some very gorgeous creatures and I can't wait to see the ones you still have. I have had horses for over 42 years, and now all my originals are gone....the last (born here) at age 37 this past November. Most of that time there were six of them and I also had several boarders. It's so simple now, with just Rebel (my 7th horse) and his pony, Seamus. A lot of work, but I would not trade one minute.

Sandra said...

Lori, I may not be able to to take current photos for awhile, I hold out hope I will at some time, but I have lots of photos. I don't know how many I had at one time including foals. I did have up to ten boarded horses. I would guess sometimes I had 30 of my own.. that would include the foals. I have 15, all but the ASB former stallion were born here. 2008 wiped out the horse market for a long time and I just kept them. 37 years is a phenomenally long life for a horse, Seamus could reach that age, especially considering how well cared for he is.

Lori Skoog said...

Wow! I can't imagine feeding 30 horses! You must have a lot of pastures. Rebel and Seamus are about the same age...24ish and Seamus will always have the option of going back to Andrea if something happens to Rebel. So far, they are both doing well. And little by little I think you are going to improve enough to take those photos. Your camera sure does a phenomenal job with your food shots!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful horses!

Sandra said...

Lori, it could be why I'm not lounging in the Riviera! The boys look great, I didn't realize their age.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Far Side. They have been a huge part of my life.

Val Ewing said...

This reminded me of all the wonderful accumulated memories of the mules, donkeys, and horses who were in my life for so long.

:)

Sandra said...

They are good memories to have, Val. So happy we have them.

julochka said...

oh, now I want to find my old horse photos! So many good times and so many good animals. I am better for having had every one of them. And I know you are too. <3