Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Snit Fit

This is a story of an expensive herb that produces an edible bulb and, seeds, which are a spice.


A couple of days ago Mark went to a neighboring town to meet his brother for a rhubarb delivery, to his brother from us. He went to the local grocery store to pick up a few items, one of which was fennel. The store calls it Anise Florence. Let me say, for some reason this annoys me to no end. I'll get to that, but this is about my shock when I saw the receipt: $9.49 per bulb, $18.98 for the two medium sized fennel bulbs. I guess the bonus is they did have the fronds. Fennel has never been inexpensive, I think this is why they call it anise, as in AH-niece not ANN-is, it sounds fancy and therefore justifies the cost.

My little rant:  Fennel is not anise. Pronounce anise anyway you want, it's still not fennel. Both plants are herbs which produce seeds which are a spice. The herb, fennel, also produces an edible bulb. Anise does not. Whew!

As I'm typing this I have the hearing on gun violence/control on. I realize my longstanding peevishness over this ridiculous annoyance is, indeed, ridiculous. But there you are, an example of living ones life in the midst of great pain and despair. Somehow I guess I need the distraction of something that ultimately means nothing. There's so much that means everything.

That was an expensive pizza.

4 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I'm sure the pizza was delicious! Looking forward to seeing what the 1/6 Committee has come up with tomorrow night. Hopefully some minds will be changed. I never really thought the United States would ever be in a situation like this.

Sandra said...

I don't think it's possible to change the cults mind, but perhaps some of the apathetic will sit up and pay attention. If they don't, it's over. I've been rather cynical about politics and this country for a long time and yet, I never really thought it would come to this. I may have had intellectual what-ifs, but never, ever thought it would be real.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have never used fennel...we are pretty plain cooks up here:)
Mainstream TV is pretty much a waste of time...much ado about things but never a plan:(

Sandra said...

Fennel is good! It does have a slight anise flavor, like tarragon, another favorite of mine. It's wonderful with a roasted chicken.