Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cheery Me, Or How to Win Friends And Influence People


Okay, this is how I feel on many days! What's old is new again. In my younger years I was a high-strung, anxious and mercurial person. Somewhere around forty I mellowed out and discovered anxiety and worry were just borrowing trouble. For nearly two decades I have been a steady-eddy. You can count on me. I've had a barn roof collapse from the weight of snow on pregnant mares, trapping one, I've had horses die, horses seriously injured, mares have foaling trouble. I had to raise Zing when his dam died at birth and I had five other foals plus around thirty horses to care for. I did it, no worries. Well some, but steady-as -she -goes.

High-strung anxiety is creeping back in. I notice some moody behavior. If I'm going to regain my former temperament, is it too much to ask that I also regain my former figure? I think it's only fair. I'll keep the gray hair and the sagging skin, but how about the Fates taking the fat? Hmm, bargaining. Wouldn't that be a good trick if you could get away with it.

The trouble with my getting up on my toes is, I have 'hot' horses and the two blend like oil and water and someone won't come out of that combination well. They would put their money (or hay) on me. I would have to agree with them. I've gotten fat, but they still outweigh me by a bit. So, the only thing to be done is, turn off the radio, the TV and stick my head in the sand for awhile, maybe ten years. When I pull my head out of the sand, or as I have been known to say about people who don't pay attention, out of my butt, it will be a brave new world. Of course, there's always Valium.

6 comments:

Ashley Dumas said...

Sandra,

Maybe putting your head in the sand for 10 years is a little bit tooo much : ), but maybe you could just take a break from the doom and gloom of the BBC, CNN etc... until the end of the year : ) I certainly am. The reprieve is easier for me as the 'easy news' (TV and Radio) is all in Portuguese : ) and mostly concerns the southern hemisphere. Anyways, I am not 'looking' for bad news right now. It certainly is a volatile time and might I say an 'interesting' one. (I think living during these times is supposedly a curse) but many great people and ideas emerge from the worst of crises. I think the US has been for sure coasting along in a fog of relative wealth and security and sometimes a little reality or a glimpse of life outside of the bubble isn't so bad for our youth. I think sometimes we must be tested by fire to know our own strength. Sure the lazy, video game generation is sad and their parents who wanted to make everything 'perfect' for them are not happy but I don't think they were really too happy anyway. Wow! I am getting opinionated and soap boxy sorry about that! : ) I may be wrong in this opinion and it not really 'thought out' just some musings. I hope it was ok to leave them here. It is a perspective that cheers me up when thinking about the current 'state of affairs' of our country.

Thanks for posting!

Ash

Sandra said...

Ashley, I LOVE opinions, my own and others. And, I agree with you, which makes it even better! You really think ten years is to long? : )

Ashley Dumas said...

Of course I am no way glorifying or defending the horrendous mistakes and stupid decisions of our leaders and business leaders over the last years only hoping that their failures will wake up some change.

AND...many who are suffering are my afore mentioned
'spoiled' kid crowd. I am very aware of that.

See what happens when I open my mouth on a whim.

That is why I DON'T usually do it.

I hope I did not offend anyone!

Ash

Ashley Dumas said...

HAHA ok Now I have to clarify my clarification.

I meant to say

...many who are suffering are NOT the afore mentioned...


Whew, I better go drink a cup of coffee and wake up!

: )

Sandra said...

Whew! I understood it the first time!

Ganeida said...

Well I can't criticise. I won't watch the news unless I can't understand a word but I'm convinced the world's headed into Revelation Times anyway & that things are about to get very very bad. That's on my bad days of course. Otherwise, *she'll be right, mate!*