Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, December 19, 2008

Pressed For Time....Filled With Thoughts

I'm really busy right now. Work in the barn without, once again, my skid loader is added work. I found out two days ago parents and son are coming over here for Christmas Eve. I have no groceries in the house, for us or for company, I need to spruce up the house some. We had the handyman out, which took time from my day (but he always gets a lot done!). I should be getting something done later today but I'm having dinner with a friend instead. I've learned, a little late, that it really is important to stop and smell the roses.

I have so many thoughts in my head that need organization before trying to put them in print. Bailouts to Wall Street investment banks versus loans to auto makers. Dick Cheney admitting to authorizing torture with a so-what attitude. Talking heads on the cable channels discussing said torture as if it's 'normal'. Bush saying he doesn't know what the Iraqi journalist's 'beef' is. The financial and moral decay of our country. I don't mean moral decay as the religious right frames it, but probably more the way Jesus would have framed it. Pardon me for evoking his name, but I think about this a lot lately. Avarice and cruelty have become the standard of our government and to a large extent, our population. I am so muddled in my mind and worried we, as a country, have gone down a road from which there is no return.

I need to stop paying attention to what is going on. I have turned all of my hair gray, so I don't know what I have left to display my distress in an outward way. I've gained more weight, so if that is how it's manifesting itself, I need to stop it RIGHT NOW!

Oh, and to be an equal opportunity fatalist, Rick Warren invited to Barack Obama's inauguration. What a slap in the face to his base. Think of Bush inviting Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. 

Ok, I'm done now.

6 comments:

Britwife said...

Have a wonderful dinner! You hit the nail on the head with smelling the roses.
I've got to say - your Paul Wellstone quote is perfect. What a wonderful man. I miss him.

Ganeida said...

Um, I don't know about American politics. They always seem a tad fraught to me but I'm an Aussie & our perinnial gripe is: It doesn't matter who you vote for a politician always gets in. :) Enjoy your dinner & the roses. Both are more worthwhile than politics.

Sandra said...

Ganeida, I was born into a political family so it's in the genes. It runs through my blood and I take it to heart. Besides, if more people paid attention we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today. I would be completely lost without my soapbox! : )

Britwife, I met Paul Wellstone several times and his energy and enthusiasm were contagious. His voice and activism are sorely missed.

I plan to have a nice evening and leave the troubles behind for awhile. ; )

Sandra said...

BTW, I got to the grocery store, but I didn't buy food for the family gathering. I don't have a clue what I doing for that. but at least we will eat for another week.

Bought my case of sparkling wine. I can't resist a case price. : )

JeanRDH said...

Cheers.

Take time to smell Zing (WF Last of Roses) hehehe
Have a nice dinner tonight.

Sandra said...

You are funny Jean. I smell him several times a day and I never tire of it. I also smell LIKE him almost all of the time. : )

I'll have a good time. You know Jeni, I think. She's always good for lifting my spirits.