Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, September 7, 2023

A Weather Reprieve

 We are out of the tropics. It's cool, actually a little chilly.


I made a roasted tomato and basil soup yesterday, seeing as it was cool enough to keep the doors closed. It's been so terribly hot. I enjoyed making and eating soup.

I'm reading a book set during the pandemic, Lucy by the Sea. Written by Elizabeth Strout. I've been surprised at how quickly I have forgotten what that was like. The nervous fear anytime we had to interact with others, the constant hand washing and glove wearing and hand sanitizer. Then realizing how it made being isolated feel so normal. It's a strange feeling, not distant past but feels surreal, like...did that happen? Odd what the brain does.


6 comments:

Boud said...

I really liked the Olive kitteredge books, but haven't read this one. I think it came out before I was ready to read it, the pandemic still being a bit too recent.

Sandra said...

I didn’t know this is part of a series. This author is new to me. I looked and there are a lot of books!

Ami said...

Being back in school was really surreal after they opened again. When we were first back, everyone was masked and required to stay 3 feet apart. Ha, try that with a bunch of elementary age kids! I had a scary moment when the masks came off, one of my small girls fell on the playground and scraped a hip.We did first aid, and she skipped off to play. About 20 minutes later, I looked across the playground to see an adult male I did not know with his hands on bare tummy, looking down her pants. I was pulling out my phone to call 911 and moving as fast as I could to intervene when her little brother (2 or so) walked out from behind the guy and I realized it was her dad *without the mask*. Surreal indeed.

My favorite soup is lentils with ham and it's cooling off here, too, and now I want soup. Yum. Oh, and cornbread.

Sandra said...

Ami, I bet you were in a panic! I haven't thought about how it could happen , to not recognize someone with out a mask if that's the only way you've seen them. My favorite soup seems to be the one I have at the moment, but one of them would be lentil with ham.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We were in pandemic mode before the pandemic so it did not seem so strange to us. We are pretty much hermits...my husband cannot do germs. I hear that Covid is on the rise again. :)

Sandra said...

Far Side, overall, we were too. I did go to the grocery store and would see a few people here and there before it hit the fan. Yes, I see that, too. I did read the new vaccine has been working for the latest variant. We make sure to keep up with our vaccinations.