Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Another Like the Other

We stayed outdoors yesterday until after dark. Making up for lost time.


It was a busy morning yesterday, at least compared to normal. My hay guy came over to unload some of the racks that were in the pole barn. He and Mark got two unloaded and stacked before Bob had to leave to do something else. While Bob was here Bill showed up with more tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. Although Bob was on a time schedule, he and Bill had a long talk. Then Bill came inside and had a long talk with me. Cannot say we solved the world problems but Bill did explain to me what basil is and how you use it! I thanked him.

A friend suggested I make tomato jam with some of the tomatoes. I need to get ginger root, otherwise I have what's needed. I'll make a jar and see if I like it. I placed an order with Costco yesterday which included olive oil and cashews for fresh tomato pesto. I have found I really like it. Grazie, Giada De Laurentiis. Cashews are my idea, I think she used almonds.

I did braise the sinewy brisket yesterday and got plenty of usable beef for a pasta meal. It was in the liquid for about four hours. The liquid from the original oven time, used with some cream and cheese made a really good sauce. Yay, me!


13 comments:

Pixie said...

It's so nice to be able to sit outside until the sun goes down. It's quite cool here at night now, down to 4C one night. As always, your food looks wonderful.

Boud said...

I make a great tomato lemon jam, I think an Amish recipe. Best using Roma or some other less juicy tomato, and it's very good.

BootsandBraids said...

I recently tried a recipe for tomato jam with bacon in it. Essentially, a bacon jam. Loved it. Bacon makes everything better.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Pixie. We are having a few days of above normal temps. It does cool down overnight, which is perfecto!

Sandra said...

Boud, I'm looking forward to it. Mark said he doesn't like tomato jam. I told him I doubted he ever had it. Said he did and doesn't like it. He thinks it's like strawberry jam.

Sandra said...

B&B, I used to watch a cooking show at least a dozen years ago. She said once that the French consider bacon a vegetable. I have taken that and run with it! Everything is better with bacon.

Sandra said...

B&B I have tried posting on your blog but it won't let me. Some quirk blogger is having, I suppose.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is quite warm here today, and the wildfire smoke is back along with the dreaded Asian Beetles....oh I hate them filthy smelly things:(

Sandra said...

Far Side, warm here to. I've been having terrible sinus problems which I am attributing to the smoke. I don't have them but my mother did in St. Paul. They destroyed everything.

Val Ewing said...

Unloading and stacking hay is WORK! Whew! Sounds like quite the job!
More veggies for you! With Bob around you don't have to shop for fresh veggies like that.
:)

Glad you got outside and enjoyed the weather.
:)

Sandra said...

It sure is, Val. I did it into the 2000s and then quit. Let the guys do it.

I am overflowing in tomatoes and peppers!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We do miss sitting outdoors on a front porch and glad you and Mark were able to do it. How nice that Bob keeps showing up with more produce and basil is indeed a wonderful herb.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, the funny part about Bill giving me a basil tutorial is I have grown, used and process basil for most of my life. I just nodded and smiled as we were standing nest to four basil plants at the time!