Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Moving On

There is a story



I had a good friend for many years who kept her horse with me. She stopped by and had this china in her trunk to bring to Goodwill. It had been her grandmother's. I didn't think she should part with it, she said it meant nothing to her. I am a sentimentalist when it comes to these things, so I said I would keep it for her incase she changed her mind. She didn't. She died of lung cancer a few years ago, so I know she won't be changing her mind. She would be eighty if she'd lived and this was her grandmother's so I'm thinking 1920s to 1940s. I did look it up and that's about right. I am giving it away and had a woman contact me. Her 30 year-old son wants it. She said he loves this sort of thing. I packed it up and she will probably pick it up today. It is short four dessert plates and one small fruit bowl, both of which can be replaced on a site I found. I am delighted a young man wants this. I said I wanted a gentle home, as it's been in my care for at least twenty years and I feel responsible for it. She told me it will be cared for. I have three sets of china, one I brought home after my mother died. Sentimentality strikes again.

14 comments:

Boud said...

I'm glad you were able to find a good home for it. Not easy these days.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story. I am glad you found a home for these dishes.
I ,too, am sentimental. I have some very odd items..figurines, for example. I actually worry sometimes what will happen to them when I die. Nutty thoughts.
Take Care,
Kaye

Pixie said...

I'm glad you found a good home for it. I still have my good dishes, a wedding gift, and I do use them sometimes. I imagine when I'm gone, they'll be given away. The only thing I really wanted of mum's, a tea set, she gave to my sister. I have a niece that likes old things, so I gave her my pearls. I can't see my daughter ever wanting them. I sound old, don't I:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

They are beautiful! I understand the need for dishes...I have several sets to get rid of. I have not used them in years and are not likely to either...one set is newer (Geese) and the other set China from 1960's.

Sandra said...

Boud, yes. Tastes have changed as well as lifestyle.

Sandra said...

Kaye, I know most of what I have will end up in a thrift shop or a dump. My son has no interest in any of it. I am surprised a young man would want this but happy he does.

Sandra said...

Pixie, I use one set of china at Thanksgiving and the other at Christmas. I may put one of those to everyday use and actually use my mother's Havilland. I have a lot of jewelry from my Diva days that hasn't been used since I moved here, 3 decades. Yet, I keep it. My son will sell that, I suppose. I should wear my pearls around the farm!

Sandra said...

Far Side, it is something how attached we get to things. I had trouble deciding to give this set of china away and it had no actual significance to me!

Val Ewing said...

I have a collection of mismatched china cups and saucers. This is beautiful and I am so glad you found a wonderful home for it.

I use mine for still life photography as they are so gorgeous.

These are stunning!

Ami said...

My feelings about 'things' have changed. I do have my grandmother's Wedgwood, it's Queensware, which means it's glazed. My kids have asked for some things that belong in the family, and I'm going to make sure I write it all down. My own parents refuse to leave anything in writing, 'it's not time yet' but they're both in pretty bad shape.

Too bad there's no forum or something where people could connect and trade stuff for free. :)

e said...

You did your best in finding it a home in which it will be used and appreciated. That is the best tribute to your friend and her grandma.

Anonymous said...

Val, I have a collection of tea cups. Do the Legos have tea in your photos? 😊 Sandra

Anonymous said...

My son is the only heir, Ami, and I know how he feels about stuff. My parents wouldn’t part with anything but now they are both dead. It’s good to put in writing who gets what. Sandra

Anonymous said...

e, yes. It’s time to let it go to someone who wants it. Sandra