Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Quiet Evening

An autumn evening on the kitchen deck, me with a glass of red wine, Mark with a beer. We have had very little of this outdoor time this year. Mostly too hot and when not.....bugs. It was pleasant listening to crickets as the evening darkened.


Then we went inside and I put together a twenty minute meal. We are still getting a few zucchini.

I made a brisket Sunday. The absolute worst cut of meat I have EVER had. Nothing but sinew. I get most of my meat from Butcher Box. Organic and pasture raised, it's of good quality. Except for this. I went to the website and did the complaint thing. They are a really good company, no problem at all. They refund the cost to my next box. Being the frugal kitchen person I am, I put that useless thing in the dutch oven with its cooking liquid and some water and braised it for several hours. I got some useable meat I'll put in a cream sauce with pasta. Not the delightful brisket I anticipated, but not a total letdown. Mark likes to tell me this is why they pay me the big bucks. I'd like to know who 'they' are and when I will see the bucks, big or not.



10 comments:

Boud said...

That sounds like a good save, on the meat. I'm not very knowledgeable about meat, not having eaten it in many years, but you sound very competent about how to fix an unpromising start! Noted, just in case.

Val Ewing said...

I keep asking for a hired cook and a house keeping fairy but none ever show up.

You do amazing things with food.

Sandra said...

Boud, if it's tough simmer it in liquid!

Sandra said...

Val, it just isn't fair! I like simple with a lot of flavor. My days of anything complicated are long gone.

Anonymous said...

Your outside time sounds delightful, very peaceful and what a beautiful area to enjoy ..

I, like Boud, have not eaten meat for years. I have started baking chicken for my dear senior dog Bird. I mix it with his other senior food to make it more pleasing to him..

Take Care,
Kaye

e said...

That outdoor time sounds amazing!

Sandra said...

Kaye, I used to boil chicken thighs for my dogs. They got the chicken, I got the broth. Bird is a lucky pup.

Sandra said...

e, we sat outside last evening until after dark. It was so nice out.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Brisket is something I have never cooked, so no help from myself 😟I do hope you will be able to salvage it, perhaps placing in a crockpot? The pasta and zucchini looked quite tasty😋

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it’s a tough cut of meat but shouldn’t be sinewy. It’s braised a long time in a low oven. I was able to salvage it!