Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, September 4, 2023

Bring on Autumn

Labor Day. 
The unofficial end of summer.

There will be no labor today on my part, even with the air conditioner on. The miserable summer is having a few days of a last hurrah. Oh, god, I hope it's a last hurrah. I labored lightly yesterday, cutting the basil back and making a full ice cube tray of goodness with the leaves for the up-coming winter. Otherwise I sat in front of a fan, listening to a long but engaging book. Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver. If raw, crude language bothers you, you wouldn't like this tale, but I don't care about that. It's a narrative, with the main character telling the story of his life. I have stayed interested. I did take a break and watched a movie. I cannot say how long it's been since I did that. I was scrolling through Prime and decided to try a documentary, Nelly&Nadine. A Swedish production, it was poignant in that Scandi way they do so well.

As I sit here I realize I am doing a small labor today. Monday is laundry day, no holiday gets in the way of my laundry day! I told Mark yesterday that I feel I may have finally grown up. He said he still has a way to go. I won't argue the point. I say this with a smile. My insides have calmed. I have always been driven and on the demanding side. That is mostly gone. Not all of it, I wouldn't like that, but overall....I'm easier to live with. Meaning not only for others buy also for myself. As I observe our mentally ill country I find it somewhat strange I have become better. Irony?

Tomatoes. I think Bill may not have more for me. Whew. My Roma is producing heavily, I don't need extras. I refuse to can, so I don't know what to do with them. Hopefully, the son will take some off my hands. It seems they really like tropical weather.




I wish you all a pleasant day, free of any labor other than that which you enjoy.

 

16 comments:

Boud said...

Once romas get going, you'll need a forklift! Or a stand at the end of the driveway. Happy laundry day!

The Happy Whisk said...

The tomatoes are soooo pretty. Love that you're easier on yourself and kinder to yourself. That's wonderful.

Happy New Week!
Cheers, Ivy

Sandra said...

HA, Boud! I have a skid steer. :0 If I had a stand at the end of the driveway I would find more on it than I put out.

Sandra said...

Ivy, being an old bat does have it's benefits! They are pretty, I just wish they would slow down.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pretty tomatoes! Too hot to do much but read! Hopefully in a few more days this will pass. Too bad we cannot store it up for next Winter!

Jenny Woolf said...

Those tomatoes look great. I'd have some! I know they wouldn't travel though.

e said...

Gazpacho maybe? Cold soup is good when it is hot. My friend gifted me a simple recipe. Ley me know if you would like it

Val Ewing said...

I did love romas the year I canned something like 30 quarts. Whew, that was a lot!
I still have enough to take me through until spring so ... I read a book today in the hammock until it got too warm.

Lori Skoog said...

Right now we have a ton of San Marzano tomatoes that are honking big and each one weighs almost a pound. We make sauce and store it in freezer bags. Onions, garlic, peppers, a carrot and tomatoes. Cook it down a bit, but it's more like a quick sauce and delicious when you serve it topped with Romano cheese on your pasta. We make between 50 and 70 freezer bags that each hold 2-3 cups and store them flat so they can be stacked. Very easy to do. I chop the tomatoes etc. in a food processor....Gary cuts everything by hand. Your tomatoes would be perfect for this. A lot easier than canning.

Bohemian said...

Your abundance of Roma are gorgeous, perhaps make a fresh Pico de Gallo or Salsa with them? I labored in the Art Studio Space which was off and on like a Sauna Workout but satisfying since I got so much done that I felt quite accomplished. The Grandsons never did show up and I was not gonna call to find out why, no news probably being good or better news? Perhaps Sadie is realizing they'll move out and she nor Ian can make up the $1,300 Monthly that Allen contributes... plus both Grandsons love to Cook so probably prepare most of the Meals. I still think they need to make other arrangements and get their own place if and when Rents come down enough that the Single income will be enough. As for us being better when the rest of the World seems to have gone Mad, it is ironic, huh? *LOL* My Crew may be Crazy, but at least we're not Stupid and Hateful, nor prone to Extremes like the MAGAts exhibit. I still can't believe we have so many Americans who have developed a Cult Mentality and such Hatred and Anger towards fellow Human Beings. It's not normal.

Sandra said...

Far Side, it is too hot. Supposedly today is the last of it. Let us hope.

Sandra said...

Jenny, England is a bit far too travel well!

Sandra said...

e, yes, please!

Sandra said...

Val, you had the right idea!

Sandra said...

Lori, I stopped canning at least a decade ago. My freezers are packed to the limit. I put them in the food processor, too. The Romas I roast.

Sandra said...

Dawn, hopefully they worked the situation out. I hope so, you have enough on your hands.
The country is falling apart. I always thought it inevitable, but not during my lifetime.