Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sunday

We are finally having September weather and it makes me happy. The horses are frisky and fun to watch as they prance around one another in the cool morning air. My son and his Yorkie are backpacking in Mille Lacs over the weekend, which is in the northern part of the state. He loves the woods and would be a great hiking partner for Val! His little doggo is a real trooper. I do miss having a dog, I will not lie, but not enough to take one on anymore. The cats are social and odd and good company. That's enough.

I made a really good casserole for dinner last evening, even if I do say so myself. Eggplant and zucchini, lasagna style, with roasted tomatoes as the sauce. Delicious. No béchamel, only mozzarella. We have enough for two more meals. I had frozen Brussels sprouts, yuck!, which Mark picked up and said I asked for them. I did not. Then he did it AGAIN and insisted I said I wanted them. This time he still had the list and it said frozen BROCCOLI, not Brussels sprouts, which I do like. Just not frozen. I had to put in the story of why I had frozen Brussels sprouts. I roasted them, which did make them palatable. Just. The sauce helped cover the taste.


I am also enjoying making soup now that we have soup weather. One of my favorites is roasted eggplant soup. Even Mark likes it, he who never met an eggplant before he met me. It's really flavorful and adding a little feta or goat cheese brings it up another notch. Simple joys of life.


12 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Hiking! Yes!

Soup. Yum.
Today I am picking wild apples and hark...oh no! I am actually in the kitchen making apple jelly. Please do not fall down and faint.

Your soup and meals look amazing.

Sandra said...

Val, fortunately I am sitting down as I read this! HA!

Too bad the son and you aren't neighbors. His wife doesn't like the woods. He'd always be up for a hike.

Boud said...

Too.funny about the misread list. I doubt if anything can make those things palatable to me. The flavor's just like iron filings

Sandra said...

Boud, I knew I wouldn't put frozen Brussels sprouts on the list. I see them as a crime against humanity. Mushy yuck. dipping them into the sauce helped, greatly.

Lori Skoog said...

Ummmmmmmm! So glad you are having cooler weather.

Pixie said...

You really should have a cooking blog. That soup looks delicious.

Sandra said...

Pixie, thanks. It is very good. We will have the rest for lunch today.

Sandra said...

Lori, so am I. It's been an awful summer.

e said...

YUM!

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is almost a bit too cool in the mornings...but I will take it!

Sandra said...

e, it really is!

Sandra said...

Far Side, you are further north, we have been in the upper 40s in the morning. After the summer we had it feels marvelous!