Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, September 16, 2023

CATS!

My life has come to this. Slipcovers and cat trees. 


I had to cover the chairs, as well as the sofas, because Gatto goes after upholstery like someones life depends on it. I had looked at a much more expensive chair cover, then remembered why I'm covering them in the first place. What was I thinking, Gatto should just shred my money? I kind of long for the days when we didn't know declawing was so awful for the cat.


 

I took a couple of days off from the computer. Not with intention, it just happened. I was busy with stuff and time slipped past me. We have entered autumn and it's bliss after the summer of hell. I made a good chicken and rice soup with leftover chicken and brown basmati rice couple of days ago, when we stayed in the mid-sixties as a high. Soup is always good, but soup when there is a sharp chill in the air is even more good! Yesterday we got a little rain and then the sun came out and it was lovely. It would have been more lovely if it had rained all day, but what can you do. I made a pizza for dinner using cherry tomatoes. Mark said it was the best pizza I've ever made. I reminded him that he says every pizza is the best I've ever made.

Otherwise, life trundles on. Mark has a high school reunion at the end of the month and a sixty-fifth birthday lunch for one of his brothers. Mark comes from a family of ten children, all still alive. My big plan is to go to Costco for the first time since February 2020. I have not been inside any grocery store since. I've been getting delivery from Costco and pick-up from Aldi. There are things I want that I cannot get through Costco delivery. The modern world.

May someone make you the best pizza you've ever had every time they make a pizza.

10 comments:

Boud said...

Better still,find a partner who thinks that!

Do you trim Gatto's claws? I used to do that, particularly the front, tearing ones, with a little special scissor with a cutout the claw fitted in so you could cut right without hurting.

It was a bit of a struggle, but they eventually resigned themselves to it, and it saved the furniture quite a lot of wear and tear.

Sandra said...

Boud, I do trim their claws. Gatto and Jiggs are easy to do, Frieda needs to be wrapped in a towel or the person holding her would be shredded. Gatto goes after whatever he claws like a wild thing. I haven't seen the likes of it!

Boud said...

I still wonder if gatto is a hybrid wildcat!

Sandra said...

I looked up curled tail cats and they are feral by nature. It's some sort of genetic thing, I don't remember. They aren't curbed at all in behavior. He's either off or he''s really on! So, you are actually correct. Lucky me!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Some cats need to work their claws like a maniac. Aside from giving him an old chair to claw apart...I would squirt water at him when he used anything else. But I am a mean old woman.

Jon said...

Cats are so notorious for shredding furniture and carpets. My (now deceased) cat Kitzee wouldn't let me trim her claws in sixteen years!

Val Ewing said...


How funny! Yesterday I had a conversation with the sales lady at a furniture store and we discussed slip covers on all furniture! LOL, she was pointing out that a couch behind me was impervious to spills.

I have a blanket on our love seat because it is new and nice...and some little dog is sure that it is HIS personal day bed. I want to protect it from doggy dirt and sand that comes in on his fur.

Your slip covers look pretty neat.

Sandra said...

Far Side, he is impervious to correction. I've sprayed him smack in the face and he doesn't flinch. I was sweating flies yesterday and he bit, and I mean bit, my ankle. I lightly batted his bum and said NO. He kept going after me so I finally gave him a punch in the nose with the fly swatter. He did stop. I don't like to get physical, but he was treating me like prey. He is not your usual cat!

Sandra said...

Jon, she had some mighty claws to shred with! Nice to see you, I hope it means you are feeling better.

Sandra said...

Val, now what I suspected would happen is he started going after the side chairs which have a delicate fabric. They are now covered in large throws. I can tell I'm old, this would have put my undies in a terrible bunch at one time. These slipcovers are waterproof. I washed them before I put them on and it took forever to dry. I had a sofa that was for the dogs only. They used it, somehow they just new, I guess. It was called the doggie sofa and no two-legger was allowed. Turn around is fair play!