Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Apples to Apple Sauce


It's warm, humid and sunny. I'd be mowing the lawn if the mower was working properly. Instead I made applesauce from the apples Neighbor Bill brought me.


These apples are quite tart and don't hold form when baked, which I learned the hard way by making a pie with them several years ago. Applesauce pie, anyone? My favorite way to eat applesauce is warm over vanilla ice-cream. I could devour copious amounts, but I don't because, well, I'm overweight. But I'd love to.

It's a quiet day, really like most days. It just feels quieter than usual. Mark had been out to lunch with a client, maybe that's what feels different. Whatever the reason, it feels peaceful.

I have a pork roast in the slow-cooker with white wine, onion/garlic, fresh sage and rosemary. I seasoned it with old bay. It's not just for fish. I'll serve it with a zucchini, cucumber and yellow cherry tomato salad. I love having dinner making itself. 

My good friend in Denmark, julochka, showed me how to make herbed salt. That will be tomorrows project. It looks and sounds wonderful. 

I obviously had nothing fit to print, as I have just sort of rambled on. Mark has told me he thinks I should continue blogging, he thinks it's good for me. I think he's right, even when I'm just running on. As I am inclined to do. Take care.

11 comments:

Boud said...

I agree about Old Bay. I use it a lot, on all kinds of foods. It's my go to.

And yes, go on blogging. I look forward to it. You have a following!

Boud said...

I agree about Old Bay. I use it a lot, on all kinds of foods. It's my go to.

And yes, go on blogging. I look forward to it. You have a following!

Sandra said...

Boud, Old Bay is a fantastic go to! The aroma in the kitchen is making me hungry.

I enjoy being here again. I have learned new things, found new authors and just all around found it to be a good thing. I have so little going in my life it often feels like I have nothing to say. Which I don't so I chatter! A couple of years of pandemic isolation have probably affected a lot of people, not just me. It's like I need a reset button.

Nancy J said...

I don't have much going on in my life either, but so enjoy reading of your days, the food ideas, and all else. Through your and other blogs, I can travel to so many places that I will never get to, see new gardens, recipes, animals, and scenery. And Old Bay, I need to see if it is available down here. So that is the bonus from your words today, with huge thanks when I cook the next meal.

Lori Skoog said...

Homemade applesauce with pork is a good combo for me. Yours looks divine.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your applesauce looks great! Yes keep blogging and I will keep reading:)

Sandra said...

Nancy, I agree with how many interesting people and things we get through the blogs. I'm happy to know you glean somethings from me. If you can find Old Bay it's a versatile seasoning, a little spice!

Sandra said...

Lori, thanks! I left it a little chunky.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Far Side. I will.

Val Ewing said...

Ahhhh! I made applesauce yesterday too! I put mine in half pints to go with pork chops...and my favorite way to eat applesauce?
Warmed up of course!

Keep blogging.

Sandra said...

I'm making pork chops tonight, I may try that. I never have because my palate doesn't like a sweet/savory combination. I can try, though. I'm going to have Mark pick up vanilla ice cream. I cannot resist!

I haven't any idea of quitting. He had mentioned it because I said I have fallen off social media entirely. He said, well don't quit blogging It's good for you. I agree. I need more things in my life, though. :)