Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, August 27, 2022

Teenage Mutant Tomatoes?

Mutant Tomato


Two tomatoes melded together and decided to have babies. Sorta gives me the creeps.

We had some rain overnight, which precludes me from finishing the mowing. We are supposed to have more this evening. It's going to be a hot and humid weekend, which also keeps me from the lawn mowing. I never have handled heat well and my old self has had the opposite of most people as they age. I handle heat even less. I got about half done yesterday before I got too warm. I'm out in the full sun for most of the mowing and it gets to me.I have plenty and I mean PLENTY to do inside. Maybe I can convince myself it's about time.

I'm not a really early riser anymore, not like when I cared for forty horses, but I am generally up by 7:00. I slept until 8:30 this morning. It was discombobulating. I lost 1.5 hours of my morning.

I had a shoe called oofos recommended to me. I was told to use arch supports and I got good ones, but they bother my feet and back more than without them. The therapist told me to wear athletic shoes, which I have never liked, but I bought a pair, light pink. If I'm going to wear them I'm going to make a statement! I hate them. They feel heavy and cumbersome. I spent twenty-five years in farm work boots but I bet they would bother me now, too. oofos are expensive but they have a slider that was on sale. I ordered a pair and will see how they are. If I like them I will spend the money on shoes. Sliders aren't going to work in Minnesota during winter.  I think back to the decades I spent in high heels!

Because I feel like rambling, I am going to shred more zucchini and some carrot and make fritters for dinner. What else, I don't know. It's been awhile since I have made them. I bought an electric griddle years ago for that particular use. I should use it again. Not to be maudlin, but depression does steal your life. On that happy note, I think I will take my leave! And say, I am doing better.


 

9 comments:

Boud said...

If you're doing better that's great.

I have never handled heat well, Northern European DNA and I'm still not. A few minutes when it's over 90° and I'm done for! Can't cool off.

Sandra said...

My DNA is all mixed up. One half is Sicilian, that should allow me to handle heat but it seems to be overruled by the English other half! I'm a genetic mess.

I am doing better, I spent too long off meds, don't ask me why, there's no sane explanation.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I don't like the heat either. That tomato went wild!!

Sandra said...

We are in the 'don't like hot weather club', Far Side. That tomato is the strangest looking one I have ever see!

Lori Skoog said...

Yay! Better is good! The thing I can't stand anymore is humidity. Can't believe you were taking care of 40 horses. .. I thought 9 was a lot. Our weather was perfect today, but it's going to heat up again, and I also have more mowing to do. I've never tried to make zucchini fritters with carrots in them. Sounds good. Never heard of those shoes....got a picture?

Sandra said...

Lori, the 40 included foals. But, yes it was a lot. I was rather obsessed! Minnesota has become increasing humid, if I wanted that I would have stayed in Georgia. I hadn't heard of them, either, but someone I know whose husband has bad pain in his feet told me about them. I'll send you a photo.

Val Ewing said...

I looked up oofos and they look interesting. I know my doctor said to wear really good hiking boots.
I really dislike heavy footwear since I wander so much. So I wear super lightweight hikers.
I'm one of the lucky ones who still finds bare foot most comfortable or flip flops in the house on the hard floors.

The heat and humidity today were pretty intense. But we have a nice breeze going on!
~Trying to catch up on things!

Anonymous said...

I am a barefoot girl in the house but it isn’t working for me now. I’m waiting on them, I hope they help.

Anonymous said...

I’m on my phone, it makes me anonymous. It’s Sandra