Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Changing Seasons

Yesterday was a quiet one. I did the minimum and barely that. It was sultry, the dew point was 72 degrees, and that is just wrong. I lolled about, listening to a book for most of the day. Mark was in his office, as he is today, finishing work before a client meeting tomorrow. I am fortunate in him, he pays no mind to what I do with myself and wouldn't be bothered if he did.

I am looking forward to this....


.... and this. I like winter. It's easier to like since I don't have to drive in bad weather, but I like the slow pace, the early darkness, the fire in my cosy room. The braised meats, the sauces.


Isn't the above a lovely photo? I don't know how I managed that. It was taken before the wonderful cell phone cameras existed by my Canon DSLR. Now I forget I have it. Things have changed hugely in a very few years. It's amazing and a little unnerving. At the same time.

I can tell today will be a repeat of yesterday. I have no idea why the quiet seems different, it's always quiet, except during planting and harvest, but it feels different somehow. It feels like a curl-up-with-a-book quiet. Which is what I'm going to do. Keetah will follow me to my throne chair, the ceiling fan will keep us cool and I will finish my book. The library has alerted me the next one is now available. I feel indulged.

8 comments:

Boud said...

Now we need to know what you're reading. Also what's next.

Sandra said...

I'm finishing "You Are Not Alone" by Greer Hendricks and Sara Pekkanen. It's a mystery, started out a little slow but has become more interesting. I picked this book because I'd read another by the same authors that I was really interested in, 'The Wife Between Us". The next is "Still Life" by Sarah Winman. I've read a couple of her books and like her writing.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It will snow soon enough. It was humid here too but better today:)

Sandra said...

It was very humid yesterday. Today is much better.

Val Ewing said...

I had a very quiet afternoon yesterday after the kids left.
Charlie and I hung out in the hammock and listened to the crickets and some birds while I looked up into the branches of the hickory tree.

Fall is coming and I delight in those days as well as winter.

Sandra said...

Val, did they like your braids? I bet they did! I have had a cricket invasion, they are outside and inside. They are harmless and they do serenade, so it's ok. Frieda id fascinated by them, she just watches.

Val Ewing said...

My son is usually mum on those things, once in a while he will comment on hair.
Megan said they were cute and fun.
I just felt they were perfect and tidy and kept all the hair out of my face.

New Adventure awaits!
I've invited another young neighbor to ride the fields with me on our mules. She is an accomplished rider but hasn't ridden in a while.
Should be interesting!

Sandra said...

Interesting and fun, Val! I plan to read all about it.