Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, August 17, 2022


I finished this book yesterday. It took me all of three days.






Tom Hanks' narration added a lot to my enjoyment of this book. I loved his droll tone and often mildly sarcastic inflection. He was perfect for the part, in my opinion. I also appreciated someone not changing voices, as is commonplace. He would change inflection, pitch slightly, but nothing else. It was like being read to by a famous guy! Oh, the book is good, not just Tom Hanks.

I liked the book enough that I just borrowed another audio book by the author. I am getting lazy, I like someone reading to me. I really do. Maybe I'm fulfilling something I lacked in childhood. Whatever, lazy or an unfilled need, I like being read to.

Yesterday I tried to mow the lawn but the mower was running rough and I didn't want to cause damage. Neighbor Bill will need to look at it. He's not only my supplier of produce, he's also the neighborhood mechanic. We are having nice weather, finally, and tomorrow and Friday we are supposed to get rain. Yippee! The grass (weeds) aren't that long it can't wait. The property isn't visible from the road so I won't be bringing the neighborhood down.


8 comments:

Boud said...

I agree with Hanks ss narrator of The Dutch House. He actually improved the book which isn't one of her best, into a really good narrative. Very surefooted reading.
I use audiobooks largely because I'm looking at other things, spinning, cording, drawing, all sorts of things. But when I want to just read I do like a print book. Usually on my Kindle where I have the font permanently enlarged.

Sandra said...

I'm glad you agree, Boud. He made the book interesting. I think he was perfect! I'm listening to Commonwealth now. I did read A Month in the Country.

Nancy J said...

A good neighbour is worth so much more than any cash , handymen are much needed. Rain, here we have rain, further south flooding yet again.

Sandra said...

Nancy, we would be lost without Bill. He can do so much.

It's been a bad climate year.

Lori Skoog said...

Our weather has been great for several days, but we are down 5 inches of rain and that is pretty serious. I love audio books and would listen to them while I was in the barn cleaning stalls or when I was driving around in my car. Hope your lawn tractor gets fixed.

Val Ewing said...

I wish I could send some of our rain your way.

It is nice to have such a helpful neighbor! I had one too, but I think that has changed.

I used to listen to audio books when I worked in security. We had to watch monitors for hours on end and at least listening the a story would pass the time!




Sandra said...

We are supposed to have rain later today and tomorrow but I'll believe it when I see it, Lori.

I go through books fast when I listen to them, you can't read and clean the kitchen!

Sandra said...

I do, too Val! Bill keeps the farmers equipment going. He's needed.

I can see that job being boring watching monitors.