Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Winter

We sat in the living room last evening watching the snow pelt the window. This is one of Gatto's favorite viewing spots. I caught him in mid-flight. You can see that odd looking thing on the wall. My new wifi extender, it looks like something out of science fiction. Which it would have been thirty years ago.


 It seems over 48 hours we did get the predicted two feet of snow.


All photos were taken from inside the house. There isn't a chance I'd be able to navigate this!


Mark went out to shovel around the barn doors.


It's cold and will be into Saturday. By my nature we are always stocked with food so we don't need to attempt driving. Mark wants to wait to plow until it's warmer. I don't have any deliveries coming, so that should be ok.


The wind blew snow into the porch. This is the outside hangout space for the cats. Those are Gatto prints, the two girls are not interested in cold feet.


I keep Keetah's food in a garbage container. It works great. 
It looks foreboding in there.


I guess a couple of feet of snow is just what I needed. I have been in a depressive cycle which worsened when Murphy died. I awoke this morning feeling lighter. It's a foreign feeling and one I could get used to.

I made a great one pan meal last evening. I usually steam fatty fish like salmon and steelhead. I made steelhead the usual way, on a foil lined sheet pan, I added on one side asparagus and on the other very thinly sliced potatoes and onion. All had finely chopped garlic and tarragon sprinkled over it. Some olive oil and butter, sealed in foil and spent 25 minutes in a 350 oven. Really good, fast and hardly anything to clean up. Perfect.

That's the report from the land of snow and ice. Enjoy the day.


16 comments:

Boud said...

You are certainly welcome to the snow and cold. But you both are very capable of dealing with it, and indoors the food sounds excellent. I wonder if I can try that recipe with tilapia, which just arrived from Misfits.
Keep warm, and I'm glad the snow has raised your spirits. Maybe it's the light level or the effect of snow on the atmosphere.

Sandra said...

Boud, yes, we can deal with it. We have the clothing and the equipment. It's just one of those things.

I have made cod this way. There's no reason tilapia shouldn't be cooked in foil. Because it's a different texture and thickness it will cook much faster.

Whatever it is I still feel better. I'll take it.

julochka said...

We have had so little winter this winter, I am jealous of your gorgeous, fluffy, meringue snow. Stay warm!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You got walloped compared to our measly less than 3 inches of the white stuff, but we are also staying indoors as Patrick made fish chowder earlier this week and today I made a vegetable quiche. We have no where to go and all day to not get there. We are really getting into one-pan meals and those with a handful of ingredients.

Lori Skoog said...

You got what you expected in the snow department and so did we. There was a lot of ice our car this morning and last night we experienced the same snow pelting on our windows. A warm fire and a good meal makes winter doable.

Ami said...

Nearly 11 inches fell here, which is unusual for our area. Predictable results. Crazy people driving too fast, people stranded on freeways overnight, interstate being shut down in the city because all the connecting ramps etc are nothing but ice and crashed semis.

I love fish. My husband doesn't. I don't cook it often, but when I do, it's coho salmon that's my absolute favorite.

Your porch looks too damn cold for warm blooded creatures, even those with fur!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like you have enough snow for a bit! Stay safe and warm!

Val Ewing said...

Wow that is some snow!

We didn't get as much but I'm okay with that. It was very wet and very heavy with a crust on top.

Now it is colder this morning and it is supposed to warm up by this weekend and rain on Monday!

Sandra said...

julochka, The snow is pretty. It's been cold so it the light fluffy kind, much easier to plow. The weather has been strange in a lot of places. What's strange about it here is MN hasn't acted like MN in a long time. It's sort of nice to have it be 'normal'.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, I have never made fish chowder! Something to try to add to my list. I intend to make some kind of soup for lunch. I have newly made chicken stock to work with. Enjoy your cozy stay inside.

Sandra said...

Lori, it does! When you don't need to drive somewhere it makes all the difference. Stay warm.

Sandra said...

11" is a lot of snow, Ami. The road conditions were terrible.

I like steelhead trout a lot. My favorite fish is walleye, of course it is, it's crazy expensive. So I rarely have it.

Sandra said...

Far Side, we do! We've been cold but you've been colder.

Sandra said...

Val, it is! It's a dry snow, it was cold here. Still is. We will eventually get into the 20s tomorrow and then warm up a bit more afterward. It's good you didn't get this much snow, the mules would be belly deep!

Pixie said...

The snow is beautiful. It's just cold here right now but it's due to warm up shortly.

Sandra said...

Pixie, now that it’s plowed we don’t mind it at all. It’s cold here, too. A warmup starts tomorrow afternoon. We took advantage of the weather and had soup for lunch. Imagine that!!