Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, February 17, 2023

If Only

Gatto in late afternoon sunlight.

He knows he could have been a contender if only he'd had more opportunity. If only, there could be lots of little Gattos populating the world, if only. If only he hadn't complained about freezing to death and begged to be let inside. If only he hadn't succumbed to luxury and a magically filled bowl anytime he wants to eat. If only.

If only I had energy there would be matzo balls instead of noodles and beans in the soup. If only. Ah, the choices we make. At least I made soup, enough for lunch again today. It's cold. We have warmed from -5 F to 5 F. Mark has been busy readying for a peer review. Mark's career has been corporate auditing. He also is a tax guy, but that was mostly for his corporate clients. Auditing requires peer reviews. He still does a couple of audits. It's all Greek to me.

 


I froze several bags of yellow plum tomatoes last year. I'm going to make a sauce with a bag I brought up from the freezer. I've never made yellow sauce before! That plant produced fruit like crazy, so I had to do something with the tomatoes. We used them fresh during the season, but there were just too many. 

I thought yesterday as I was walking to my office how much things have changed in the last couple of decades. I had my phone in my hand. I always seem to have my phone in my hand or pocket. It's a natural part of my life, an extension of my body. Then as I sat at my computer I remembered the days of dial-up and You've Got Mail. No Facebook or Twitter. There were forums and blogs. I would use a phone to talk to people. Now I use it to text and search the internet. It has also replaced my DSLR camera. This all came to mind because my 12 year old wireless extender stopped extending wireless to the east end of my house. The house is a single story and it's long. There is a stone wall in the kitchen, with a laundry room between the kitchen and my office, where the connection is. We don't get wireless in the living room and snug without an extender. No music streaming through Alexa. No using Roku for TV watching. No using my phone without going to data. It's like I'm living in the 20th century! A new wireless extender is on the way, so my deprivation will be short-lived. How very accustomed we become to change. 


12 comments:

Boud said...

It used to be considered fantasy, written about that way, to have a personal communication device so small it could fit in your pocket. Mine is my safety feature, always on me in case of falling!

Great to have tomatoes from the summer, lovely smell and flavor.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo of Gatto, lucky cat. How old do you think he is?

I long for warmer weather and some snow to melt..

Take Care,
Kaye

Sandra said...

Boud, remember the communicators in the original Star Trek? Like a flip phone!

I paid for a cell phone for my mother for that reason. She always had it in her pocket. Now I need to worry about myself for the same reason.

Sandra said...

Kaye, the light was beautiful. I don't think he's more than a year old. He still has a kitten face. He has become more playful with the other cats since he was neutered.

Once we get past mud season it's nice to have warm weather. We have thick, black clay soil that is a misery until the frost comes out of the ground.

Lori Skoog said...

I can't believe how cold it is in your neck of the woods. We have snow today and right now it is 23 degrees. We should be above freezing for most of the next week. Gatto is a lucky boy, to have found you and Mark. Do your cats go in and out or are they inside cats? And who plays the piano?

Sandra said...

Lori, cold is what we are known for, I guess. : )

The three in the house stay inside. There are three outside. The two males were part time house cats but they didn’t like Keetah so they stopped coming in. The female never wanted in.

I used to play, badly. My mother wouldn’t let me have lessons, she made me take accordion lessons instead. Yah, that was fun. We had a piano so I taught myself. My hands are arthritic and have been for awhile. I stopped messing with it because I was busy and never got around to lessons, which had been the plan.

We are going to have moderate weather for a few days. No green grass or budding trees like you have, though!

marlane said...

If someone had told me about all the technology that we have today when I was in my teens in the 1970's I would have been flabbergasted. Especially Alexa ... you talk to a round thing that plays you any music you want and answers any question you ask. I use mine every day when I take a nap and asked today for new age flute music, which serenaded me until I fell asleep. We have the Elon Musk satellite internet called ? (I am getting old) anyway we had to wait for it but is worth every penny.

e said...

I hope Gatto settles down and you extender works as planned. To answer tour question, I did not suggest Bewildered to you as have never read it. I really liked Lisa Wingate's The Book of Lost Friends, which is historical fiction. The Stranger in My Genes was written by Bill Griffeth.

Your soup looks delicious! I hope it fills you and makes you happy and that you have a lovely weekend.

Sandra said...

It seems so natural, marlane, but the advancements are mind boggling if you think about it.

Sandra said...

e, since you are a voracious reader I thought it may have been you. I've got Wingate's book on hold.

The soup is gone, but it was good. The stock was rich and flavorful. You enjoy the weekend, too. We have sunshine.

Anonymous said...

37 paddington:
I was thinking about all our tech advancements too, and remembering when if you wanted to go online you had to use the land line for the phone and no calls could get through. We walk around with a powerful little computer in our hands and the lean back experience of talking to our friends on the phone, sometimes for hours, is no more.

Sandra said...

paddington, although I am grateful for all the good things tech advances have done, I miss certain elements of the past, like talking for hours on the phone.