Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Taco Tuesday and Other Interesting Things

Happy Valentines Day


Otherwise known as my father's birthday. 
This is his high school graduation photo. He would be one hundred. He died one week after his birthday in 2010. He'd been in the hospital, was diagnosed with bladder cancer and died at home from cardiac arrest. He told me he was tired and didn't want to go on. So he didn't.

Now something we've all been waiting for....these little jewels will be removed today!

 

Mark took him into the spay/neuter clinic this morning. He has not been great to live with as an intact male cat looking to breed. I have not ever dealt with a cat spraying in my house. I do not recommend it. 95% percent stop after neutering, let's hope he is one of that 95%.

Now onto the news of the day.




Mark is cancer free!

He had his last treatment yesterday. His PSA is 0.2. He sees the urologist in six weeks for a follow up. He went through radiation with really no side effects, other than a small amount of fatigue toward the end. We had a brownie and ice cream after lunch yesterday to celebrate.

I'm going to roast a chicken for dinner, a nod to the sort of holiday, Mark is going to pick up tacos from the local deli/meat market for lunch and we have half of the brownie left for a treat sometime today. I will also need to go through the house on a Gatto Spray Removal Mission. My German Shepherd has made it clear to me she is NOT a pheromone sniffing dog. It's not in the union contract.


17 comments:

Boud said...

Great news about Mark! And let's hope Fargo will be a happier cat after today. Intact toms are not fun human companions.

Boud said...

I clearly typed Gatto. Which showed until I touched the button. Autobully!

Val Ewing said...

What a day to loose your jewels, but there you go!

I was married to the Ex on Valentines day and that didn't work out so well, it took us exactly 14 yrs before we parted...on Valentines Day!
LOL.
Have a wonderful day and Congrats to Mark!

Sandra said...

Boud, Gatto did have Far to Go! I cannot help myself. I never want another one in the house, OMG, cats are breeding machines, it's almost all he thinks about.

Sandra said...

That's a good story, Val!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This date is certainly a memorable day for many reasons, Sandra. Your dad was certainly a nice looking fellow in his graduation photo. Hope Gatto's procedure goes well for all. Glad to read that Mark successfully completed the treatment. Tacos sound like a wonderful plan today. we will be having homemade pea soup and artisan bread for ham sandwiches.

e said...

Thanks for sharing your great news and I hope you have a fabulous day! Your dad was quite handsome and I'm glad you have good memories. Nature's Miracle for cats urine formula is good for removing spray odor.

Sandra said...

Dorothy, it has always been his birthday before I then would think about it being Valentine''s Day. He was always well-dressed. He liked nice clothes. He graduated and several months later was on a warship in the South Pacific, he spent the duration of the war in the Navy. It is a relief to know Mark is ok. Mark is getting ready to pick Gatto up. I hope he's groggy so he is quiet for awhile! Tacos were good.I hope you enjoyed your soup and bread. I never liked split pea soup until I made it myself.

Sandra said...

My dad was a complex person, e. Smart, funny and selfish. My mother would sneer I was just like my dad. I'd say "thank you". 😉

Lori Skoog said...

Ironic! Today was my Mom's birthday She would be 103 today) and her Mom's birthday! Great news for Mark....glad he got through it with ease and you had a celebration. How is Gatto doing???

Pixie said...

Your dad was a handsome man. He was actually younger than my dad. Dad would have been 103 this year, had he lived.

Glad Gatto's balls have been removed. I doubt he feels the same way but cat spray stinks.

Sandra said...

Lori, that is ironic! Gatto is doing well. He walks a little gingerly, I'm sure he's a bit sore.

Sandra said...

Pixie, my dad was a bit of a bon vivant! Your dad died young, mine was 87 and had been in poor health for several years.

Gatto seems a little confused, like something is missing! Hopefully he forgets about spraying. I have not dealt with that until now. Yuck!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Mark got great news!! Good that he is done with radiation and I hope the next check up is good too!

Interesting that your Dad had bladder cancer I wonder if it was Service connected, my Dad was a Bladder Cancer survivor since 1986. ( Service connected in Korea) So he lived without a bladder for 36 years...interesting that your Dad got his wish to go on and my Dad had been wishing that for a number of years.

Oh Toms that spray...yuck...all I can say is white vinegar might help...and yes it takes awhile to stop that behavior. :(

Sandra said...

It is good news, Far Side!

My dad was in the Navy during WWII. It's entirely possible that it was service related. When he told me he was done, I believed him. He''d had health problems for a decade and this was the final straw for him. He couldn't have willed the heart attack, but he did get what he wanted. Like always. 🙂

It sure is yuck!

Anonymous said...

37paddington:
Wonderful news about Mark!

Sandra said...

paddington, it sure is!