Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, December 12, 2022

Reading. Listening.



I spent the afternoon in front of the fire with a new book. I recommend Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. A well-written book. I'm now listening to Wintering by Katherine May. This book feels as if it's my life, not specifically but just the general feel of it. The narrator has the perfect voice for the subject matter. I would recommend listening to it. Thank you, Boud, for mentioning this book. I'd placed a hold on Ng's first book Everything I Never Told You and it became available today. I have high expectations.

I am going in for lab work this morning and really should be getting ready to go, but I'm feeling shaky from prednisone. I need to rally myself if I'm going to get it done. We, as is much of the country, are in for some bad weather this week. If I plan to get this done I must do it today or wait another week. So, off to get stabbed by a needle.

 

17 comments:

Boud said...

I'm glad you like wintering. And let's hope you get the lab work done with.

Sandra said...

Boud, I really like the book. It feels as if it had been written for me! My gallon of blood has been extracted.

Boud said...

There was a Brit comic who did a bit about blood draws -- you want all that? That's an armful!

Lori Skoog said...

Fires have me so hooked!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes the storm in coming:(

Sandra said...

Boud, šŸ˜„

Sandra said...

Lori, so am I. It’s a good thing we have a lot of wood.

Sandra said...

Far Side, we are probably getting rain then snow. Miserable. Your so far north it will be just snow.

Val Ewing said...

I hope the labs help resolve some of the mysteries your health is experiencing.

Blood work is really useful.

I have to go to town twice today...Tuesday. Once to the gym and once to the eye doctor.
I want bionic eyes please.

Pixie said...

I liked Wintering but it reminded me so much of Eat, Pray, Love. You're right, she does have a lovely voice. She has podcasts you can listen to as well.

https://katherine-may.co.uk/winteringsessions

Sandra said...

Val, I can hope!

Not a good day to be driving, maybe it will hold off until you are done, or have bionic eyes!

Sandra said...

Pixie, it touched a spot in me. I felt peaceful while listening to the book and when I finished yesterday I had a sense of calm the whole evening. I'll subscribe to the podcast, thanks.

Pixie said...

Sandra, have you ever been diagnosed with Lyme disease?

Sandra said...

Pixie, No. In the early 2000s I had what I thought might be a suspicious tick bite, but I ignored it. I think I have a place to start, I just never considered it and it hasn't been brought up to me.

Pixie said...

One of the women in the podcast I left for you in a comment, had Lyme disease. Her name is Meghan O'Rourke. There was another book I read about Lyme disease, I think it was called "Bite Me" by Ally Hilfiger.

Pixie said...

Nope, it was "Sick" by Porochista Khakpour. Sorry.

Sandra said...

Pixie, I'm going to definitely look uo Bite Me! Sounds right up my alley. I'll look for the much more subtle Sick, too.

I am subscribed to Wintering podcast.