Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Snug. As a Bug.

When you live in Minnesota, in the winter, life can become very small.


 This is my excuse for a tree this year. It's all I had in me. It will do.


When it's -11 F one, me, tends to stay inside. Life narrows down to the inside walls of the house and the outside view through the windows. That leaves inside photos and talk as my blog fodder today. I have said this room is small, it's difficult for me to get the proper perspective, the camera elongates the room. I did the upper photo in portrait setting and it came the closest to accurate. There's room for two chairs and the TV. The piano sits in the curve, which isn't a useful space otherwise. This room is arched. The German Shedder likes the windows.


It is my favorite room in the house, especially in winter. It has two names; spring/summer it is the sunroom. Autumn/winter it is the snug. I borrowed this word from the English. I will admit watching waaaaaaay too many episodes of Escape to the Country, where I was introduced to it. I cannot think of a more appropriate word for this close, warm spot. 

It was -11 F this morning. It's not supposed to break 0 today. Snow is expected all day with high wind blowing in Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I think I need to tell the son we won't make it on Sunday. We won't plow out until the wind and snow stop. That will be Sunday. The horses will be in the barn for those days, which means more work when they do get out. It's simply a reality when you live a rural life and have livestock. They must be tended to and the snow must be plowed before we can leave. I, nor Mark, need drama. We will visit another day. New Years if they are available. 

We have plenty of everything and just incase we don't I placed an Aldi order which Mark will pick up after his medical appointment this morning. Unlike Val, I did not have the propane tank filled, last week it was at 45% which will be enough until after the weekend. Pellets for the stove, wood for the fireplace (no Bat Cave fire this Christmas), food, wine, coffee.....all I can want in life!

So, a tour through the snug, a list of weather related issues and a glimpse of life in the slow lane. I think I will leave it at that. 

12 comments:

Pixie said...

I think snug suits that room perfectly. Stay warm and enjoy.

Sandra said...

Me, too! I'm so glad I learned it. I have the stove turned up and the space heater on. It's comfortable. You also stay warm, we share hard weather.

Val Ewing said...

Nice snug looking room. I have two rooms downstairs. We call it the east half and the west half. I had to nag the delivery folks to get with the program and deliver LP. Good thing we generally get only 2 fills a year. Wow. The price!

I am awaiting the big snow to arrive. Nice that we had a 3 way check on our ridge with texts to see if anyone needed anything. Those who were headed to town offered to pick up things for others.

I am impressed with my neighbors.

I'm looking at a good book to re-read tomorrow...or I will stare out the window.

Peace Thyme said...

My daughter lives in MN also and she loves the cold more than the summers there. Loves to ride in the barn in the below freezing cold with her long skirt keeping her and the horse warm.

Sandra said...

Val, it's snowing hard here. I am keeping the thermostat at 60 degrees because the propane cost is so high. The fires and space heaters keep it comfortable. It's less money to heat with electric and wood pellets.

You have the best neighbors.

Sandra said...

Peace Thyme, where in MN does you daughter live? Summer over the past dozen years has become increasingly humid here. For me it's unbearable, swinger is welcome. We can dress for the weather but we can't undress for the humidity.

Boud said...

I love your snug! I think that's also the word for the parlour in a pub, too. probably with a nice fire.

Sandra said...

Boud, it’s a perfect word for that kind of room. It says it all!

marlane said...

You have a very nice living room, one I would want for myself. The earthquake was a 6 pointer. San Diego is a place that I have never been, but would like to visit maybe next year.

Sandra said...

Thank you, Marlane. You’re already in CA, may as well go to San Diego! That’s a strong earthquake.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The room looks perfect to me as do all the seating areas, window views and especially the fireplace, add in some good books or a movie and what’s nit to like. Perhaps those -temps are the only thing, but as you are warm and safe indoors, no worries.

Sandra said...

Thanks, Beatrice. Best room in the house! No one likes extreme cold but I accept it's how it is where I live and enjoy the quiet it brings.