Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, December 22, 2022

Time in Chime

This clock belonged to my parents. It's been around as long as I can remember. Something that was there but hardly noticed, the chiming so commonplace to not be heard.



The video quality is terrible. It's not like this in my files but it is once posted here. sigh

After Kate died I gave away a lot to a neighbor and a paternal cousin who had spent time with Kate after my father died. Kate had a grand piano. I didn't want to deal with finding it a home and my cousin had a friend who admired it. I gave her the piano and she had it moved! Win for us both. I tried to give away the clock but no one wanted it. So I brought it home, found it a spot and realized how much I like it. That house was so full of misery it was hard to distinguish between what caused the misery and the place and items within. Healing is happening. Better late than never. Moving on.....

We are cold. It's -12 F and will stay around there all day. Friday and Saturday are setting up to be blizzard days. It's so cold the snow is very light and we got about a foot. We are going to have wind up to 45 mph for two days. Driving will be impossible. Fortunately, we don't need to, but there are people who do. There will be accidents. It is breathtakingly beautiful, though.

Now onto a happier topic, soup. I took stock out of the freezer and will make good old fashioned chicken noodle soup for lunch. I don't think I could find something more appropriate than that on a rather cold day. I've got my holiday meal plan, I think. I will make a pizza Christmas Eve and either ham or lasagna Christmas Day. Mark stopped at the meat market to pick up a small ham. I wasn't specific enough, so....he brought home a ham steak. It's do something with that or make lasagna. My slow cooked ham simmering in white wine isn't going to happen. If I have the energy I will make a flourless chocolate cake. It used to be my tradition.

BTW, the sound in the background of the video is an air purifier and the fan on the fireplace. It sounds like some sort of machinery is being run and I guess it is. Strange how it doesn't seem that loud except when I hear it on the video.

4 comments:

Val Ewing said...

sounds....
when I turn off the concentrator the house feels too silent.
We get used to the backround noises so we don't here it any longer.

The snow stopped but the winds are up. My neighbor on the ridge says it is making her house so cold!
I'm buried in the woods and thankful for where we are. I heard it roaring up there while doing chores.

No driving here either. The roads are drifting even though we didn't get more than 5 or 6 inches.

Sandra said...

That is true. I don’t notice the sound other than when I listened to the video. The snow stopped during the night. We had slight wind but when it’s this cold it makes it really cold! Keep warm.

e said...

I hope you love that clock for many years to come if you enjoy it. I kept some things but over years have given them new homes when I found I no longer needed them as a reminder of people or places which were in earlier times sad or complicated for me. I hope you stay warm and aavor that soup and lasagna.

Sandra said...

e, I do love the clock, it is comforting. The steady tick-tock and chiming. I have homes for some of the heirloom items that belonged to my paternal grandmother's family when I either die or decide to let them go. Some are very old. Liking this clock was a good sign for me, it belonged to my parents and not some ancestor, yet I let all that go and saw just a clock. We are staying warm. I'm staying inside, Mark is the warrior braving the cold!