Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, December 1, 2022

The Homestead

We moved from a lovely historic area of St. Paul, a three story brick house built at the turn of the twentieth century to this. A mess of a house in a rural are, close to the cities but definitely rural. And a mess. Poor Mark, raised on a dairy farm, living a nice life in the city and then....boom. THIS. I saw it and saw potential. He saw it and wanted to run. Fast. He has always had trouble saying no to me and this was not an exception. I got my farm. After we moved here I wondered what I was doing? I had never lived outside of a city in my life. I was nervous about the isolation. My horses didn't come here until spring, months away. I was driving to Stillwater every other day to see them. Stillwater is on the western border of Wisconsin, way east of where I now lived. I second guessed myself often, something I was not prone to doing.

I loved this barn.


This is an after photo, probably taken about seven years ago. The two large box elder trees are now gone. There is a large red cedar now in front of the screened porch. There were two of them, but they were overtaking the house. They seed themselves and grow fast. The red door and window trim is now white. Other than that it's the same. It took a lot of work and a couple skilled guys to get it done. This is the house Dick,  Patrick and Sandra built.

This house has three eras. The round end, going to the screened porch is the newest, 1985. The middle, where the screened porch is was part of the original farmhouse. It was two stories. The farmer removed the second story and built a rambler addition to the west in 1973. I don't know when the farmhouse had been built. We put the screened porch on in 1994. The foundation had been laid by the previous owner who didn't finish it. He had plans to put a second story on the 1973 addition and left the blueprints with us. We didn't need a second story.



I was painting the veranda floor, which is why the furniture is on the lawn. Always, always needing to paint something. I need to paint it again but I haven't been able to.


We painted the barn white. There were six stalls in the barn, we added thirteen more and five more in an attached pole barn. Since my mobility problems the interior has become dusty and cobwebbed  Mark keeps the stalls clean but he doesn't do housecleaning. I'm grateful he takes care of them.


This is the eastern end of the 1985 addition put on by the man we bought from. He was an entrepreneur with a serious drinking problem. He would make a bunch of money, have some work done and then quit. It was a cycle, I guess. He bought from the farm family whose ancestors had homesteaded it in the 1800s. It is a story relayed by neighbors that the father, cheap bastard, wouldn't pass the farm down to his son the way his father and all the fathers before him had done. He wanted market price. So the son moved to a dairy farm in Wisconsin and the man we bought from became the owner.


Mr. Wonderful, aka Zing, when he was perhaps two. He is my remaining stallion and he is also my orphan baby. That's a whole other story.

This post came about after I had posted the Bat Cave photo and I had commented to Val that this place had been a mess. I've shown you the outside, sometime I'll show you what I had to deal with inside. I'm sure I have photos. As part of the Fallon family I must have photos, it's in my DNA. 

I have a strong attachment to this house and property. It's where I finally found myself, the self I could be. Not the one I was repeatedly told I was by a sociopathic mother and a compliant father. I created something out of a shambles. I raised horses, I buried horses. I lived with horses, a whole bunch of wonderful dogs, most of which no one wanted and I grew up. 

15 comments:

Boud said...

This is a historic post! What a writer you are, Sandra. More please. When you're up for it. How come you found horses? Were they in your family, too, or your own learning adventure?

Sandra said...

Awww, thank you, Boud. My father loved horses and had an American Saddlebred when he was a teen. His family home had a small stable were he kept his horse. He also had an Arabian when I was very little. I was too young to remember the horse. I think you are born with the horse gene and I was. My father finally got me a horse when I was around 11. I had him until he died when I was 23. I own 3 horses that were boarded at Horseshoe Lake Arabians in Stillwater. I spent every day there, I lived there more than I did my home. I wanted to have them with me. We moved west of Mpls because Mark worked in Bloomington, which is a southwestern suburb of Mpls and was within commute distance to this area. I came here with two geldings, a pregnant mare and three dogs. The prior owner had left his two dogs behind. Now I had five! The rest is history!

Lori Skoog said...

Love this post! That is some gigantic barn and your house looks so gorgeous with all its additions and changes. How you ever got up to 40 horses is beyond me. Were you breeding to sell? The decorative wood work on the ceiling of your veranda is right up my alley. Happy to see the photo of Zing....still waiting for more horse photos! Seeing the homes of my blogging friends is of great interest to me. Get Val to show you one of her Christmas chairs.

Sandra said...

Lori, start with 8 broodmares and 3 stallions. Add in a Prix Saint George dressage horse, a big ol saddlebred, an old wonderful gelding who taught weaned foals about life and anywhere from 1-8 foals any given year....some sold as weanlings or yearlings. Most didn't sell until started under saddle. Some I kept, like the Grand Prix capable Lippizaner Arabian cross gelding. He's the horse in my profile photo. The bottom feel out of the horse business after the 2008 crash. I ended up with the horses intended for sale because there was no market. I also had a small handful of boarded horses. I bred horses for about 20 years. Mainly, it takes being a lunatic, which I did very well!

The barn is gigantic.

Pixie said...

What a beautiful place. That barn is huge and those stalls are very nice. I've never raised or ridden horses but Katie rode theraputic horses and I do know a nice stable when I see it.

I loved horses as a kid. I wanted to ride, no money for that, then I wanted to be a jockey, then I wanted to be a vet. I ended up as nurse. You are lucky to have ended up in such a good place for you and for your horses.

Pixie said...

Actually I have a cousin who would love your place. My cousin rode before she could walk and still would like to work with horses. She's been looking for someplace for a long time. She lives in Florida now. I didn't know why she didn't have any children until a few years ago, she told me that she'd had a bad riding accident and a crushed pelvis as a teen. She grew up in England.

Val Ewing said...

Hubby bought our cottage on a handshake and it was okay but needed some TLC.
I love your place! What a beauty!

I like the Bat Cave a lot. I could cuddle up next to that fire.

Oh and your barn. Just wow. I'm envious of nice barns. I was going to have a nice indoor space for equine but....long story. It isn't!

:)

Anonymous said...

What an interesting history of your house and its place in your heart. You are a gifted writer.
Take Care
Kaye

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a pretty home and I would love sitting on a veranda! We just have a plain old patio! You made the place your own and I bet it was lots of work. The barn looks spacious and comfy:)

Sandra said...

Pixie, the stalls are nice and good-sized. The barn stays warm in the winter, I rarely have any ice on a water bucket. Where in FL is your cousin? My former dressage trainer lives in FL.

Sandra said...

Val, on a handshake...wow! I fell in love with the barn. My neighbor in St. Paul asked me if the place had a house, all I did was rave about the barn!

Sandra said...

Kaye, it was such a mess when we bought it and I was the one who worked with the people who helped fix it and I did a lot of the work myself, so I have an attachment for sure! It's hard to fathom how long we have lived here.

Sandra said...

Far Side, we have spent a lot of evenings on the veranda. It is a pleasant way to pass the time. We lunch and dinner on the screened porch when it isn't too hot.

Anonymous said...

37paddington: Such a fantastic post. You dared the thing you dreamed and made that life happen. What rich history lives in the timbers of your farm. Thank you for sharing it.

Sandra said...

Thank you, paddington. The history...I have not fixed the ceiling in my kitchen which shows where walls were before the changes. I can't cover the history. Remnants of the dairy barn are still in the barn.