Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Friday, December 16, 2022

The Staff of Life

A Spelt Loaf 


I did manage to make a loaf of bread yesterday. I've been wondering why I stopped making bread with the ancient grains. I used to buy spelt in 25 pound bags, then I stopped. I realized it's when I believed some problems I was having were related to gluten. I then discovered einkorn, which is an ancient grain, but many gluten intolerant people can use it. I found later that I had no beneficial bacteria in my gut! So, gluten was not the problem and I just drifted back to the less expensive standbys. Eating this flavorful, dense bread has piqued my interest again in using alternative flours. I've been lazy, just making no-knead bread, which really works quite well with the more dense flour. So, there we have it....but, no 25 pound bags of flour are in my future anymore.



It snowed all day yesterday and throughout the night. We have the same winterscape this morning as yesterday. It's so pretty, and wet! I lit a fire in the bat cave since its not cold outside so the enormous hole in the roof can be justified. Mark walked into the room and asked "don't you feel like a greedy bastard having two fires in one room?" I said "no, I'd need to have the other fire going to feel greedy. I'm just a bastard." And so the evening began.

We had a meat and sort of potato dinner, sort of being sweet potato. Lori has me thinking about salad and how interesting they can be. She makes beautiful salads. I don't.  Pondering.

That's all there is from this corner of Winter Wonderland. Stay warm.

10 comments:

Boud said...

Those ancient grains are an exciting link through history. A bit pricey, though.

Sandra said...

Boud, yes, they are expensive. I mix 3-1 with spelt. 3 c spelt, 1 c bread flour. I think einkorn is older than spelt. It's amazing when you think about it.

e said...

That loaf looks lovely, I'm wondering if you have a heated space for horses? I've never lived in winter snow for long periods. Stay warm.

Lori Skoog said...

We have salads every night. So simple. Greens/bananas/oranges/walnuts/onion. Greens/tomatoes/roasted red peppers/Greek olives/Feta cheese/onions/croutons.. Grated carrots/apples/crasins/walnuts/fresh lemon juice/mayo. Cabbage/grated carrots/apples/ crasins/celery salt/cider vinegar/a little sugar/toss/add mayo to your taste. Corn/chopped tomatoes/peppers/swiss cheese/Russian dressing. Greens/pickled beets/mandarin oranges/crumbly blue/candied walnuts/vinegarette dressing. You are a fabulous cook. Do you like salads? I also love making a big green salad topped with macaroni salad as our entire dinner.

Sandra said...

e, the bread is good! I have a large Dutch style dairy barn that is converted to horse stalls. It isn't heated but stays above or just below freezing during the winter. Horses do quite well in winter, as long as there is some kind of shelter, man made or natural.

Sandra said...

Lori, I do like salad but I've mostly been a green salad person. I just don't put the time into salad. Salt, pepper, olive oil and a squirt of lemon or lime. That's about it. I admire your salads.

Val Ewing said...

We had never ending snow and winds in the open areas so it was really cold in the winds but nice in the woods.

Beautiful bread! I'm a failure in the cooking department. Though I am making some nice chicken soup for Saturday with most items that have been foraged and grown on our place.

Sandra said...

Val, Your woods are good shelter.

I'll be making chicken soup in a couple of days, we are going to be cold for awhile. We tend to do well at things we have an interest in. You are an explorer.

The Happy Whisk said...

I LOVE and use spelt all the time. I love these kinds of flours. Just love them. In fact, getting ready to buy new spelt soon as Santa left me a stand mixer under the tree and I've never ever used on for baking. Also, your loaf looks wonderful. Here's to ancient grains. PS: I find that hubby doesn't have any issues with spelt and his tummy either. Win, win.

Sandra said...

Hi Happy Whisk! Yes, those grains are good. It's amazing they have continues for millennia. Gotta use that mixer! Thank you for commenting.