Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Brrrr

I may have posted this before, if I did, well here it is again.

My mother died in May, 2020. My father died ten years prior. He was also ten years older than she was. They lived in the house I grew up in for over sixty years and they weren't people who disposed of things. It took me eight months to get the house cleared out and ready to sell. I spent most of that year in St. Paul, in the neighborhood I grew up in, where no one I knew from those long ago days remained. This radio had been in the basement since we lived there. If I ever knew anything about it, I have forgotten. I know it used to work. Decades of unmanaged dampness took its toll on the veneer.  I have no idea how old it is, if it belonged to my father before my mother or had they bought it? I decided to bring it home, clean it up but not try to fix it. It''s got damage from moisture in the top and along the bottom. It's sort of a metaphor for life, if I think about it. In this case it ended up with a more difficult situation, survived and is able to spend the rest of its time displaying my Howard. A resurrection of sorts.

I bought the poster I call Psychedelic Howard online several years ago. It's uncanny how much it looks like Howie. Even down to the woeful, the world-is-too-heavy-for-my-shoulders expression. The old radio fit right into the spot in the corner. I brought home a craftsman rocker from the house, it was stuck in the back of my father's huge shed. I need to put new fabric on the seat, otherwise it managed to survive in good condition. I may put it in the spot where the plant is. 

Anyone else affected by a change in barometric pressure. When it goes down, my whole body inflames. Yesterday was one of those days. I ended up loading the dishwasher and making dinner. In between I did nothing. So much for plans. I told Mark a few minutes ago that I'm not sure this is a good thing, but I realized as I'm frittering away the morning I have no guilt at all. That ingrained yankee work ethic is melting away. Not that I've worked all that hard the past couple of years, but I've spent many hours feeling guilty about not doing so. This morning, another cup of coffee, read another blog, repeat. Mark said not feeling guilty is good. He doesn't practice what he preaches.

I think I've covered whatever popped up in my brain for now. I'm going to mix some bread dough. I got my flour order yesterday, I may as well put some of it to use. Oh, it's cold outside, it was around 0 F this morning. Not getting out of single digits. I am happy Bill fixed the pellet stove!


16 comments:

Boud said...

Changes in barometric pressure give me a dull headache. I can tell without checking.

Sandra said...

Boud, me, too. Fortunately it goes away.

Anonymous said...

37paddington:
That antique radio is a beautiful piece, with memories attached, even better. Kudos to you for quashing the guilt at having down time. Relish it, I say. I shall endeavor to take my own advice.

marlane said...

Hi its Marlane form the blog you just commented on for the first time, it looks like we have similar things going on !!I will read yours in depth.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I just watched A Christmas Story (again) and that old radio is just like the one in the movie. It's nice that you were able to rescue it from its former basement locale...now if only it could work again, but I know that can't happen unless perhaps modern technology to the rescue.

Val Ewing said...

We listened to one of these as kids in the cottage during the summer until we put a new radio on top of it.

It fits perfectly in that part of the house. Beautiful!

Pixie said...

It's hard to stop doing but I'm learning:)

Sandra said...

Paddington, we all need to take your advice!. I haven't a memory without that radio in the basement. I moved to a bedroom down there when I was 13, it was my space. It's got rippled veneer and some missing, but it makes it kind of special to me because of it.

Sandra said...

Hi, Marlene. I figured as much when I saw the horse in your profile photo!

Sandra said...

Beatrice, I am happy I didn't junk it. I tried to give it to my son, but he thought it needed go to the junk pile, so I brought it home.

One of my favorite movies, it is incredibly well-written and. Darren MacGavin was a genius.

Sandra said...

Val, it has tubes! It does look pretty good there and it's a good place to display Gourd Howard.

Sandra said...

Learning is the key, Pixie. I'm taking some lessons from my cats. : )

e said...

I had the same kind of day without the single digits. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Sandra said...

e, it was better. I know a lot of people feel the change in the barometric pressure. Maybe we are more attuned to nature!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes I hate the changes in pressure, I take Aleve and be kind to myself:)

Ami said...

Weather affects my body. All weather. When it's too warm, I feel nauseated and tired. When it's cold, my knees hurt. When it's windy, all my joints bother me. Rain makes my hands feel like they're full of sand in the joints. Weird.

I love the radio. Eric's grandfather died many years ago, and in his workshop in the back yard were many radios, televisions and other antiquities, most in working order. I really wanted one of them, the cabinet was amazing, but the cost of shipping or hauling it from Louisiana to Oregon? Nope.