Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, May 22, 2023

How My Garden Grows

 

We got a lot done yesterday. Mark tells me I am walking better. You couldn't prove it by me, but he says I am. So I'll take it. Today will be planting the veranda pots. I called it that once and now Mark insists that is what it is. So, we have a veranda. We also have a large flower box in front of the barn which is completely engulfed in weeds that I will need to clear out before I get the geraniums in it. I stopped buying them years ago because they got way too expensive, for me. I found them on sale at a good price, so my flower box will have its old standard once again. We will going out to buy grain and cat food this week and I will check out the garden center for whatever I feel I want (need) to finish up. There is an enormous amount of weeding to do, but Mark, who is a champion weeder, is busy being a world-class sapling lopper. I never was much with the weeding, even when I was in shape to do it. 


I got all the herb pots planted, the flower seeds sowed and the eggplants put in their large pots. I also planted a couple of summer squash seeds I found I had. My sad looking palm is squished between two pots to keep if from blowing over. I need to go through the shed to find a sturdy pot to set it into. Hopefully it will revive itself.

That's about all there is to report. Off I go to plant petunias.

8 comments:

Boud said...

You did a lot. I wanted petunias but couldn't find ones in colors I like, just purple. So I went with coleus.

Sandra said...

We did get things done. My favorite color for petunias is deep purple and bright yellow. I rarely find the yellow. I bought the purple and a dark pink. A gardening friend told me purple petunias have the strongest scent. I always bought them and the smell did waft through the house.

Anonymous said...

Your Garden is coming along. I need to get busy with ours...Dawn the Bohemian

Anonymous said...

You have really accomplished a lot..Your pots are exquisite.
There is a plethora of Mountain Bluebells this spring and some wildflowers I have never seen before. I assume it is because of the very, very snowy winter we had. It is beautiful.

Take Care,
Kaye

Val Ewing said...

Your pots are gorgeous! I don't mind weeding. I know, I'm odd, but it gives me a sense of order and it is mindless busy work-- I seem to do it to relax.

Your garden area is looking great!

Sandra said...

Dawn, a small space but one that is coming along. The challenge is the perennial beds!

Sandra said...

Kaye, It is always a good feeling to get the vegetable and herb plants in the dirt. The perennial beds are a mess! I've had most of the pots for about 35 years.

Sandra said...

Val, Mark gets pleasure from weeding and he is fast. I will do it, but I'm very slow! It does allow for contemplation.