Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, May 4, 2023

He's Learned to Dust




Mark did clear the dust ropes from the ceiling yesterday.


This is a task I did spring and fall until three years ago. I am so happy it is done.


Mark cleaned the ceiling fan blades last year but not the rest of it. I am not safe on a ladder looking up. That could be another definition of Death Cleaning.


After he finished I vacuumed and used the carpet cleaner on two rugs in the room. I'll put everything back in place today. I may spend the afternoon trimming the hedge along the round end of my house. I didn't get it done last fall and it is covering half the windows. Mark plans to clean up the flower beds, what's left of them. Mother Nature had her way with about half of my flower beds. We are having pleasant weather so I should get outside and soak up some vitamin D.

Since I started having physical problems nothing has been kept quite up to snuff. We have made an agreement to get what we can done this year, which I optimistically said would be about half of what needs doing. We are both working on having realistic goals without self-recriminations if it doesn't work out. This is more for Mark than me. He tends to over-plan. 

I did read the book on clearing out your things. I didn't learn anything new, just a pleasant reinforcement of what I knew. She does stress what I learned when I started. Start with the easiest to part with. Take your time. I would take one room at a time and maybe not do another for a few weeks or even months. For me at this time it's getting organization back. An organized space is much easier to handle, even if there is still too much stuff. She also says it's ok to get rid of gifts. I have some of that I hung onto because it didn't feel right to give away. This is something to do on rainy days.

That's the days ramble. Time to get to it.

10 comments:

Boud said...

That's a high ceiling. I had a telescopic rod I used to paint a wall that swooped up like that, very high ceiling at one end.
I put the death cleaning book on hold but now I wonder if it will add anything to all the stuff I already read on the subject of clearing..

Sandra said...

Probably not, but it was a pleasant and short read. She has a good wit. I didn't learn anything but I did find it entertaining. She says she's between eighty and one hundred. :) She also talks about what we are doing to the planet with hyper-consumerism. It's only 117 pages.

It is very high, probably a younger person house. The dust had become overwhelming. This was Mark's first time doing this, he did a good job.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Way to go Mark! All men can dust! We have a vaulted ceiling upstairs and I hate cleaning it...hate the cobwebs:(

Sandra said...

Far Side, Mark proved can dust! Vaulted ceilings look nice but they are a lot more work to clean. Especially as we age. It was bad up there.

Anonymous said...

Impressive! You two make a good team. I dusted the molding around doors..during the winter and there was so much dust that I thought that I could plant seeds up there.
Take Care,
Kaye

Lori Skoog said...

Mark is THE MAN!

Sandra said...

Kaye, I sure know what you mean about that. It was such a relief to have it cleaned.

Sandra said...

Lori, he sure is!

Bohemian said...

Another Definition of Death Cleaning it would mos def be if I went up The Ladder of Death, I have terrible Vertigo, even just a Rung or Two up. I think the worst possible Epitaph would be "She Died Cleaning"...

Sandra said...

Dawn, me too! Last cleaning I would ever do. We cannot have that as your epitaph. Not that! Me, either, when I think about. She died dancing. Yes.