Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, May 29, 2023

Things


Memorial Day. June right around the corner. Where has the time gone? My paternal grandparents had three sons in WWII, in the Navy, Army and Air Force. They all came home, which seems something of a miracle. The Air Force son was also in Korea, as was the youngest son, Navy. Everyone came home.

Nothing much happening. Mark is still engaged in the Battle of Trees and Vines. He is losing. I'm still engaged in the Battle of Ennui. I'm also losing. We are in for about ten days of hot weather, which certainly doesn't help either of us in our battles. We have both become extremely heat intolerant. So is Keetah, so we make quite the threesome. 

We did get the grill working and I made a spatchcocked chicken on it yesterday. A rack of ribs will happen today, just for the two of us. I think a potato salad would be good, too.


These fine fellows have had their time acclimating to grass and are now on pasture all day. They are happy about that and so am I. A much smaller hay bill for a few months. Another sign of summer.


I got a pot of flowers in froggy so the pots on the deck are done. We got the veranda furniture out yesterday and I'm slowly cleaning the screened porch after the winter. We store the veranda furniture in there over winter. It's also a cat haven. I tried sitting on the back deck yesterday but was driven inside by a swarm of mosquitos. The trials of my life.

Anyway, today is a day for remembrance of those gone. It was also traditionally the day that told Minnesotans it's probably safe to plant a garden. For many it's a day to picnic or BBQ with friends and family. Happy Day to all, whatever you do.


10 comments:

Boud said...

I'm glad your relatives came home. And I hope they recovered from the experience.
Handsome Son is coming over for tea on the deck.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So much to catch up on, Sandra, and I have enjoyed reading back blog posts here, but haven';t commented on all. Glad that you and Mark are feeling better after the Covid shots. We never had any reactions (thankfully) and the same for flu shots. Good too read that all the service members in your family returned home safely, as did my husband from the Navy. Hot weather arrived here yesterday, but then left today when cooler temps returned. The chicken and ribs sound delicious and leftovers mean no cooking for a few days, so all is good.

Sandra said...

Boud, I don't really know. They were strangers to me. As far as I can tell they did.
Enjoy tea on the deck with HS.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, it is a stroke of luck, especially considering one of them was in two wars. I had a maternal uncle who was in WWII, Calvary. He also came home.

This was Mark's first reaction to the Covid shot. He always has a reaction to the flu shot, fortunately no more than a day. It's too warm for me and we have about 10 days ahead of us. Leftovers will be on the menu, both chicken and ribs!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear that your relatives came home:) My poor Grandmother had four in the Army and one in the Navy...all came home but one. I think Service life and wars WWII and Korea had lasting effects on them all. They are all gone now including my Dad.
I made potato salad today...sent out extra in containers for my brothers. They appreciated it. We visited Cemeteries last week and again today. Skeeters are getting bad here too:(

Val Ewing said...

We had a very quiet day here in WI. The gnats are starting to emerge. That is about all the news from here.

Sandra said...

Far Side, you are right, war has lasting effects on those who fight it and those surrounded by it. I cannot imagine what that feels like, losing your child that way.

I made potato salad yesterday and have plenty left. The mosquitos are horrible!

Sandra said...

Val, same here, I did my usual Monday laundry. Otherwise a day like any other, maybe I was slightly more pensive.

Lori Skoog said...

I love seeing the photo of your horses. Are all of them bays? So nice that they can be on pasture for a long time. We are having a series of days in the 80s and this morning when I mowed the outdoor arena I was attacked by gnats the entire time. Yum. Two of my favorite meals in a row. Seems to be that you are getting a lot of things done. Our Memorial Day was pretty quiet, except for dinner at Jenny's.

Sandra said...

Lori, all but one chestnut. I use to say I should have called the farm Nothing But Bay. The horses spend the day on pasture and come in late afternoon. The grass is high right now and starting to seed so the sugar contend is much less. I wish we were getting a lot done!