Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, May 1, 2023

Try It. You'll Like It.

I have a longtime internet friend, one of the nicest guys I've never met. He breeds Arabian horses, which is how we became acquainted on Facebook years ago. We trade recipes, he likes to cook. He sent me something he saw in a reel yesterday, a chopped salad for a sandwich. You can use whatever you have on hand. I made it for today's lunch and it is delicious. I used romaine, kalamatas, artichoke hearts, avocado, tomato, onion, chicken and tarragon. I put some of the artichoke marinade oil in with mayonnaise. It is so fresh. He told me I would be surprised at how good it is. Mark loved it, which is saying something. It could also be simply a salad.



 I did put a little to the side on my plate.

Give it a try, whatever vegetables you have and protein if you want it. My friend used ham. 

Other than a very satisfying lunch, not much to say. We have sunshine and cool weather. It's supposed to be 70 F by Thursday. That is weather I like. I had a couple of down days but I've perked up.

I ordered this book last week.


I like this sort of thing. I started going through our stuff starting at least ten years ago and have winnowed a lot. Somehow there is always more. After my mother died in 2020 and I had the job of clearing out sixty-two years of accumulation without ever having much elimination I have become more thoughtful about how I leave things. Besides, I like organization and would like to see if there's something I can get from this. We all have our foibles, this is one of mine. There are more.

I will visit later today, the afternoon is slipping away and I have things I promised myself I would do today. 

18 comments:

Boud said...

That sounds like one of those "why didn't I think of this" recipes. I can see this mixture in pita bread.

I've been practicing death cleaning for three years, before the pandemic, mainly so my son won't have an awful time after I die. He has trouble decluttering his own small condo, let alone my townhouse.

Lori Skoog said...

I would love that salad/sandwich! Great combo. I'm getting into my unloading mode and so far I only have two boxes that will be donated. Once again we have enough for the biggest dumpster you can rent. So hard to get into high gear.

Anonymous said...

My grandparents and aunts immigrated from Sweden, my mom was born in USA. They were not good at the Swedish death clean...I have a lot of their stuff (a lot)...I hope to break this trend and do the clean.
Take Care,
Kaye

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope you will share some of what you learn in that book! I have chicken in the fridge but nothing else for that salad...apples...carrots:)

Sandra said...

Boud, I thought the same thing. How could something so simple escape me. It is perfect for pita. I didn’t have any but I had onion rolls in the freezer.

I have a lot of things, I have been working on the stuff that makes you wonder year after year why I still have it.

Sandra said...

Lori, it is so good and can be anything you have on hand. I got sidetracked but when I was working diligently on it I found a room at a time. Then go back the next year to eliminate what I couldn’t the year before. It worked. You have a huge house, so a huge task!

Sandra said...

My parents thought everything they had was valuable so there was a lot to get rid of. I know how it feels, Kaye. I don’t want my son cursing me.

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra said...

Far Side, you know I will! This salad can be anything you like or have on hand. Mine was different from what my friend made because I had different things.

Val Ewing said...

When my husband passes we will probably have to have 3 or more auctions to get 'rid' of the good 'stuff' he collected over the years. Tractors, shelving, equipment, nuts, bolts, a hardware store of 'stuff'.
He is sure it is all valuable and if I move one piece of metal on a pile he can see, he notices it. :)
However, it will all be for sale one day.

I've heard about that book and really like the idea of paring down so the kids don't have to go through so much stuff.

Sandra said...

Val, your husband sounds like my parents! They did have some valuable items and family heirlooms, but omg, the stuff they hung onto! After going through 8 months of work in that house I don't want my son to be in that position.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I don't have a lot of those ingredients on hand to make a similar salad, Sandra, we often mix some of the ones listed in our evening salads, except for the chicken and onion. We always have canned tuna fish and eggs and lately cottage cheese and all are go great on lettuce with added olives and avocados.

When my late mother passed away, we went through the process of clearing out many years of accumulated treasures, but maybe less than other folks. As we are no longer homeowners and apt dwellers, you would think we have less accumulations, but that's not the case it seems.

Please share any tips gleaned from the book you ordered.

Nas said...

Oh my, this salad looks wonderful. I'm trying this for dinner tonight. We eat light dinner now.

Bohemian said...

The Salad Sammie looks delish... I think I need a Swedish Death Cleanse. *winks* Just the name of it sounds delightful... bwahahaha.

Sandra said...

I think eggs would go well in this, Beatrice. Shredded carrot, just about anything. It will become a regular for me.

My parents kept everything. It was a nice house, you just couldn't see it! I will. The book arrived yesterday.

Sandra said...

Hello, Nas. I hope you enjoyed the salad if you made it. Thank you for the comment.

Sandra said...

Dawn, you might want to take that cleanse in small steps! 😆

Bohemian said...

I may actually have to become an Immortal to actually get thru all 7 Steps of it my Friend... Winks.