Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Preservation


I have spoken about preserving fresh herbs in cubes, particularly basil.


Other than drying, the only way to preserve basil is in oil. An ice cube tray is perfect for the job. This happens to be fennel fronds. I like preserving fresh herbs this way, even though they freeze well enough. All you need is to pop one or two into whatever you are making and you have the next best thing to right-out-of-the-garden. I thought it may be of interest to anyone who doesn't know this little trick. Completely uncomplicated, if you happen to have ice cube trays on-hand. I think they may be a relic of the past.

I did get outside for a couple of hours yesterday. I got some of the overgrown hedging cut back. I'd hoped to get out this morning but my back was having spasms again. It's becoming a daily morning issue. I hope to get out after lunch. It felt good to be outside and doing something which used to be so simple but now isn't, yet still accomplishing at least part of the task. Otherwise, I have pork bones in the InstantPot cooking down for stock. It's good with lentils. The book, The Spare, finally became available through the digital library. I put it on hold January 13. It's popular. Others have liked it so I assume I will, too.


13 comments:

Boud said...

Let us know how you like it. Very timely with the flying visit to the Chubbly Shiny Hat Party.

Boud said...

I forgot to say I make basil into pesto and freeze it flat in ziploc bags. I can use pesto anywhere I was planning on cooking with basil. Won't work for a caprese salad though.

Lori Skoog said...

You sure have been making progress! So nice that you can pick away at some of the things you used to do. I have and InstaPot and have never learned how to use it. Our daughter is going to give me a lesson.

Sandra said...

Chubbly Shiny Hat Party! I also freeze pesto but I don't make as much of it as the cubes.

Sandra said...

Lori, I use the InstantPot as a slow cooker and I use the pressure cooker feature with dried beans. I have it since they first came out, before they became popular. There are probably lots of changes since then.

Anonymous said...

Good idea to preserve Herbs... Dawn the Bohemian

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good tips on the herb preserving, Sandra. Years ago, I made and froze pesto but that was back when we grew it and had a lot. Now, it would be too costly so I buy it in jars, already made. Personally speaking, I have no interest in reading harry's tell-it-all or anyone else's for that matter.

Sandra said...

Dawn, I like to have them on hand and it's a simple process.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, I grow herbs. I have an oregano patch the size of a small continent! I understand, I am enjoying it, I got the audiobook and Harry is doing the reading. It gives insight, obviously his point of view, into a regimented, emotionally stunted world.

Pixie said...

I remember making baby food like that, back in the day.

Does massage help your back at all?

Sandra said...

Pixie, I think the piriformis muscle is pinched. I'm have sharp stabbing pain. I'm using a hand-held massager on the area where the muscle is and stretching. Such a small muscle can cause so much trouble.

julochka said...

I totally learned this from you and have been doing it ever since. I love it! Haven't done fennel fronds, though, will have to try that.

Sandra said...

julochka, the fronds also make good pesto. I use the cubes in soup and sauces regularly.