Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Monday, May 15, 2023

Down and Out. The Yard, That Is.

We had a nice brunch yesterday with Matthew and his Yorkie, Homer. Matthew's wife was with her family. A chef cooking for you is always a pleasure.

When we pulled into the driveway afterward I started to laugh. Mark asked what I'm laughing at. I said it looks abandoned. A huge downed tree in front of the house, a falling down arena fence and grass in some places up to the knees. Oh My God!



In my defense, I planned to mow on the one day we did not have rain last week. The grass was getting high but not too high. The mower wouldn't start. Mark charged the battery. Still didn't start. He took the battery to Bill, they did whatever they did. Bill tested it and said it is fully charged. Then the rest of the week it rained. 


Today it's sunshine and mildly warm. Mark was getting the mower ready so I could get to it after lunch, when the grass would be drier. It wouldn't start. Bill is coming over this afternoon to see what's wrong. I have a small tractor I use to mow pastures, that one needs something done with the carburetor. Bill, our fixit guy, didn't get to it last fall. Two mowers, no mowing. 


Mark had started tearing down the outdoor arena fence last spring, then other things more pressing got in the way. A falling over fence does not add to the appearance, unless the appearance you are looking for is derelict. We got that look down!

I hope to visit with you all later today. I am actually busy, can you believe it? When the spirit moves me I must cooperate. It's such a rare experience. 

14 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

This time of year it is hard to catch up...I am waiting a bit to mow for the first time. At least it is green! Hope you get your mower fixed!

Boud said...

Ma and Pa Kettle Down on the Farm! But you had a lovely catered mother's day. So there's that.

Val Ewing said...

I know people think that a perfect yard is to strive for, but don't worry, you are not the only one with fallen trees and long grass.
Your place actually looks pretty with all the dandelions!
We had mower problems last year too and that sort of sucks.

Hope you can enjoy some of the outdoor weather today.

Lori Skoog said...

You will get the lawn done eventually. Our main lawn tractor has been waiting for parts for a month and I'm using our old one which leaves a high part in the middle of the cut. Guess we need new blades. It's always something. We have never had a tractor....even when there were 8 or 9 horses here we just used a wheel barrow. The lawn and pastures are loaded with dandelions. The day after I mow they are at least 6 inches high and now they are starting to look like puff balls. Actually have not seen too many bees yet. I'll bet your son made you an excellent meal!

Sandra said...

Far Side, you are probably a couple of weeks behind us. I did get the mower fixed but only got a small portion mowed because of time.

Sandra said...

Boud, that's us exactly! I was very good, he made the best crispy potatoes.

Sandra said...

Val, I would like the fallen trees gone, but this is dependent on Bill. He has access to a large chainsaw, which we don't have. Not on that can go through trunks so large.I did get about 1/4 of the lawn mowed, which felt good.

Sandra said...

It is always something. We'd be in trouble without the equipment. We have a tractor Mark that is used to spread manure, a skid steer that is our do everything machine and the very small tractor for the pastures. Bill said yesterday he hasn't forgotten it. Phew! Your place looks gorgeous.
I had a very good brunch and a nice time. I love that sweet dog.

julochka said...

I have a similar mowing problem. But insects and bees love all the foliage, so it's ok!

Sandra said...

I’m kind of distressed by the small number of bees. I haven’t had apples from my tree for two years. Mowing a sea of dandelions today, I saw a small handful of bees. Small.

Pixie said...

You do have a very large area to care for. Perhaps a wild look isn't so bad:)

Sandra said...

Pixie, I have a little over an acre of lawn. I've been thinking the same thing.

Bohemian said...

Benign Neglect is hauntingly attractive to me, so, wouldn't be a problem. *winks* I would literally live in a Ruin, I'm nuts like that. A Chef cooking your Meal, Hell Yeah!

Sandra said...

It sure would make my life easier if I were more like that, Dawn! It is a benefit having a chef in the family!