Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

The Candlewick of Time

The book I ordered, The Fine Art of Swedish Death Cleaning, arrived yesterday afternoon.


I started clearing out about a decade ago and did eliminate a lot. That said, there is still too much. I read the introduction to the book and she says a truth; even if you aren't nearing the age of concern, everyone benefits from an uncluttered home. 

I have thought for awhile about some of my finer possessions. Things I used regularly in Saint Paul when I still entertained. Then I used twice a year here with family on the two major holidays. Which I no longer use. I have Waterford crystal wine goblets and flutes. Lennox crystal wine, water and brandy glasses. I now have three sets of china, acquiring my mother's Haviland Limoges after her death. It's still in the box I packed it in, in a corner of my office. Do I sell it, or use it? It is expensive. I have decided I'm going to use the wine glasses. No reason not to. I like them, they don't need to sit in a cabinet in the butlers pantry collecting dust. I know I cannot let go, at least yet, of my treasures. But, I can use them as an everyday item. There is still a lot to go through that I will let go, I cleaned out a huge amount of baking pans and such several years ago. Time to clear out more. I gave away about twenty tablecloths and I have equally as many still. I had a problem. If I get rid of the clutter it would be easy enough for my son to sell the better items when it's necessary. 

I will read the book, it's a short read, and get serious about eliminating the unnecessary and unused. I wish I'd had the motivation over the winter.

Mark is removing clutter outside. We have wild raspberries by the thousands growing along fence lines and tree lines and anywhere else they decide to be. He's pulling them out with heavy leather gloves. It's a job, but they bother him. I have some need of his help inside. My living room is vaulted. I would use a tall ladder and a long duster to take the dust down. I'm not safe to be on a ladder looking upward so I've asked Mark to do it. It's been a couple of years and it's forming ropes. I would like it done today. He has his own agenda, but I think I can get him to do it.

This is what is swirling around in my mind at the moment. This and what to make for lunch. I don't know which is taking up more brain space.

14 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes use the good stuff!

Sandra said...

Yes, Far Side. What am I eating for? Mark uses the Waterford highball glasses. No reason I don’t use the wine glasses.

Boud said...

Good idea to use what you can and enjoy them. Then re-home the other items bit by bit. It's kind to your survivors.

Sandra said...

I meant waiting for! I know why I’m eating.

Sandra said...

Boud, after nearly a year of traveling almost daily to my mother’s house I realized I need to get busy. That was not a way I wanted to spend a year.

Lori Skoog said...

Anything goes. Just do it.

Bohemian said...

I have a Problem too... so, could use a Swedish Death Cleanse as well. I am well over a Decade into Downsizing and Editing Possessions. Yet, it's not as if I don't indulge in Retail Therapy and Salvaging/Rescuing Objects of Value that otherwise would be Lost to some Landfill. I just can't let that happen, there's this Urge I have to be a Preservationist to my last Days I guess? *LOL* I don't Need to Keep it all... but, shit, I do Have it all, or so it seems. After all, I have a big Ass RV Garage and no RV. *Winks* Pulling out Wild Raspberries, say it ain't so... arghhhhhhhh... I LOVE Raspberries and once tried to grow them here, no Luck. In England Wild Blackberries grew like Weeds and the Locals pulled them out... I used to go pick them and they were large and delicious. Seemed a shame to waste that Bounty of Nature when Berries are so expensive. But, I realize that both types of Bush are thorny like Brambles, so not pleasant to try to wade thru. In Upper Michigan we used to go into the Forest and pick Wild Blueberries and Boysenberries which absolutely covered the Forest Floors there. We'd Freeze them and use them Year round... such Fun as a Family activity.

Val Ewing said...

My mom used to save everything for 'Good'. We had to wear crappy old clothes unless something Good came along. Every bit and piece of everything had to be saved in case....
I think that is part of how she grew up poor and during the end of the depression and into WWII with rations for things like sugar and rice.
I do know it is hard to let go of things.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sandra, from reading this post, you have some lovely items and I agree with your decision to use the Waterford wind glasses. Drinking even less costly wine in them will make it taste better, so cheers to you. Like yourself, I also have some of my late mother’s items, like her silverware set, which was only used for holidays or special occasions, then hand washed and put in the case again. I expect the value is more sentimental than financial. My own collection includes some jewelry no longer worn as the days of dressing up are long gone for me.

Sandra said...

Lori, I would have said in my younger years this would be giving me too much license for mischief!

Sandra said...

Dawn, I do pick the berries. They are incredibly invasive and are everywhere. Your family is aware of your collection so I think they know what they will have on their hands and probably don''t mind. You are getting it all organized, which is most of the battle.

Sandra said...

Val, poverty can do that, can't it. There really is no point in having things and not using them.

Sandra said...

Beatrice, over the years I did buy things I liked. We used to entertain when we lived in Saint Paul, then things changed when we moved. I don't know how much of a market there is for these things anymore. Looking them up they bear a high price, but do they sell?I may try to sell my mother's china, what do I need that for? It's sat 3 years in a corner in my office.

Pixie said...

I tend to be brutal when it comes to getting rid of clutter, to my own detriment at times, but I do know that all of my cargo will be dispersed when I die. I still have my wedding silver when I think I'll take out to my daughter in June when we visit, then it's her problem:)

In the end, it's all just stuff.