Everything sublime is as difficult as it is rare. Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Ode to Zukes

Zucchini season is in full throttle. I remember back in the day when I felt it wise to plant two zucchini and two summer squash. Those things were stacked in the porch, on the counters, wherever there was a spot to set them. And....I continued to do it, year after year. Don't ask. There isn't an answer. The wild foraging animals had plenty of zucchini on the menu as the only option was putting them into the woods. In the mean time......

Zucchini Soup



Look at the steam rising from this. 


Because I had a compulsive behavior where growing zucchini is concerned I learned many, many ways to use it. Chunky soup like this. Creamed soup. Fritters. Grilled. Sautéed. Stuffed. Egg bakes. Pizza. You get the picture. It does freeze, I shred it. I haven't tried freezing it any other way. I'm sure it would pickle.

As long as I'm rambling. I'm a bone collector. I keep bones in freezer bags and when I have enough I make stock. Pork bones, beef bones,  shrimp shells, but mostly chicken bones. I made stock a few days ago, one for the freezer, one for this soup. I also freeze vegetable scrapes for the stock. There is something magical about making nutritious food from what is generally thought of as trash. I am my grandma's girl. Sometime I will write about Marie. I am so like her, even down to the bib apron I always have on. 

It's an overcast, mild day. I should be finishing the mowing but I'm not feeling it, so I'm not doing it. Yesterday was my burst of energy day, today is not. You take it as you get it. The fine man went to pick up a prescription and is stopping at Papa Murphy's for a pizza for dinner, allowing me total slugdom for the day. I did load and run a dishwasher and I made soup. Does that count as productive? I say yes.

Enough rambling on. I think I'll grab a book, take Keetah out to the little back deck and be idle outside. Ciao Bella Mia

4 comments:

Pixie said...

I'm not a fan of zucchini but I like your idea of saving bones and veg scraps. Maybe I'll try that this winter.

Sandra said...

Pixie, yes, save your chicken bones at least. A bag of bones makes a pot of soup!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You make zucchini look good:)

Sandra said...

HA! Far Side, you either like it or you don't.